Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Matching texture?

Had a roof leak that damaged the ceiling in a finished attic. Ended up tearing all the drywall off the dormers to upgrade the insulation and now that drywall is back up I need to match the texture. The existing texture is on both the walls and ceilings, some areas are drywall and some are old plaster that has been skimcoated. I bought the house from my father who is a retired contractor and he said he finished the attic in the 80's with "textured joint compound" from hechingers.(long out of business) The finish is a trowled on almost stucco/plaster look but also has some ceiling texture mixed in. I'm not quite sure how to match the look. Is there an additive I can mix in joint compound or setting mud? Perlite maybe? Just checking at lowes, I've only seen ceiling texture in spray on. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Dbn107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Matching texture?

Got a picture??

Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Matching texture?

here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Matching texture?-photo.jpg  
Dbn107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Matching texture?

Looks like it's more of a sand "add-mix". They should carry it at a paint store if the big box stores don't have it. I think adding it to the mud won't get the desired effect. The mud will be too heavy and hide the aggregate. I think you need to do your trowel work with the compound, then paint with the sand mix....