DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   Loose outlet in ceramic tiled wall (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/loose-outlet-ceramic-tiled-wall-174517/)

hunt4cleanair 03-14-2013 01:39 PM

Loose outlet in ceramic tiled wall
 
I have an electrical outlet in a ceramic tile covered bathroom wall that is loose. The box is metal and the wall behind the tile is plaster. I've tried tightening screws and adding a concrete but the box still moves. Its a guest bathroom so it doesn't get much use but looks like I'll have some this summer and need to get fixed.

Suggestions?

coupe 03-14-2013 03:42 PM

Madison bars

hunt4cleanair 03-14-2013 04:17 PM

What are madison bars?

joecaption 03-14-2013 05:03 PM

Got a picture?
Kill the power to the outlet, remove the cover and the screws holding the outlet in place.
Pull the outlet out of the box and push to the side.
Install a couple more screws into the side of the box.

coupe 03-14-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair (Post 1137305)
What are madison bars?

http://electrical.about.com/od/diypr...cutinbox_5.htm

ToolSeeker 03-14-2013 07:23 PM

I never knew that is what those were called. Learn something new everyday.

joecaption 03-14-2013 07:29 PM

I'd always heard them called plaster straps.

hunt4cleanair 03-15-2013 03:48 AM

Those madison straps sound perfect and while I don't think the outlet is next to a stud, add screws will help as well. thanks all

Sean'o ATHS 03-15-2013 07:21 AM

provided you have enough room/slack you could pull the box and install an 'old work' box. they have wings that cam out when the screws are tightened that pul the box tight against the wall, with flanges that rest against the outside of the wall. Of course this would require removing and re-instaling the receptacle.

hunt4cleanair 03-15-2013 02:53 PM

I picked up both an old box with the flaps and the madison straps and learned that it has a third name, locally "F" straps.

So here is the situation, I've got a nearly one inch wall of ceramic tile and plaster with a metal screen that secures the plaster. Picture shows this.

The old work box (blue) is thicker and longer than the old box. I've used files and a grinder to get the box to fit but the grinder started to chatter the tile. Depth is ok. I attempted to edge the grinder inward to get at the plaster but I just don't have enough clearance.

The F straps, once in and due to wall thickness and metal screen do not project enough to secure the old box.

Not sure where to go with this so looking for suggestions.

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/hole.JPG

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/hole2.JPG

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/boxes.JPG

Sean'o ATHS 03-15-2013 06:15 PM

Do you have access to a dremel? a carbide bit and little time you could shape the hole for the old work box just fine. If you don't have one I suggest you get one, they can be invaluable for DIY projects of all sorts along with crafts and other hobbies.

jbfan 03-15-2013 08:29 PM

You may also want to buy longer screws for the flaps just to make it easier

sublime2 03-15-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean'o ATHS (Post 1138067)
Do you have access to a dremel? a carbide bit and little time you could shape the hole for the old work box just fine. If you don't have one I suggest you get one, they can be invaluable for DIY projects of all sorts along with crafts and other hobbies.

This here is the solution!
Yes.

hunt4cleanair 03-16-2013 09:46 AM

Here's how this project finished...the Dremel was the fix. Got a tile cutter bit that worked nicely with some patience. After the first Dremel burned out just after the warranty period (ten years) I thought I could do without another one. The pictures show the box in the hole and the finished results. Not sure I got the flap up but it was tight fit.

Thanks all for the tips!

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/boxinstalled.JPG

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/finish.JPG

sublime2 03-16-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair (Post 1138478)
Here's how this project finished...the Dremel was the fix. Got a tile cutter bit that worked nicely with some patience. After the first Dremel burned out just after the warranty period (ten years) I thought I could do without another one. The pictures show the box in the hole and the finished results. Not sure I got the flap up but it was tight fit.

Thanks all for the tips!

Nice job!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved