Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Looking for a baseline price for popcorn ceiling removal

Hi everyone,

I bought a new home about five months ago that has a popcorn ceiling in the master bedroom. I'd like to have it remvoed. The room is 17' x 13' and has a semi-vaulted ceiling, where the two sides (along the 17' side) are angled inward and the top is flat. The highest part of the ceiling is probably about 12' or so. The house was built in 1996, so asbestos shouldn't be an issue.

I'm in the Philadelphia area, so if anyone can give me a ballpark for how much this should cost or even an estimate for approxiamtely how long it should take, I'd apprciate it. I have a contractor coming out on Saturday to give me an estimate and I'd like a baseline so I know if the estimate is within reason.

Thanks,

Kevin

Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
I can fix that!

Rewards Points: 25

Well they will have to prep the room, wet and scrape the ceiling, patch and skim problem areas of the ceiling, and re-paint/texture. I would expect it to be somewhere in the 500-800 dollar range (a lot depends on how you want the ceiling finished). It's a crappy job, but should not take more than two days.

kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the repsonse... I'm actually just looking for them to remove the texture and maybe patch/skim the problem areas. I'm going to repaint the whole room (along with every other room in the house except the two I've already done, lol), so I don't mind doing the painting myself.

I guess I should get several estimates for each step of the process since it would probably be cheaper to have them repaint while they're at it since the room will already be prepared.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,314

After the popcorns removed and patched I'd at least have them prime and fix all the places they missed, Once primers on it the flaws will stick out more.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

That's a good point and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I should just have them paint the ceiling as well, since all the prep work will be done. Hell, I might even just have them paint the whole room while their at it. I guess it will all come down to how much everything costs.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

The going rate.. could be between 2-3.00 a foot.. so your looking in the range quoted above.. there are different variables.... height of ceiling.. if scaffolding will be needed.. how badly coated your joints underneath are done..tarp the floor... also.. need to be taken into account.

Lr
luckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

The answer to that question has recently been compiled to represent the DIYChatroom Staff viewpoint and has been set-up as a “Sticky” for such occasions as this. Our main goal is to help others DIY, not supply a price which is why we have no forums designated as such. Other members are encouraged to post this “Sticky”, or main parts of it for new members thus helping the Moderators utilize their time for more pressing matters. We thank all members that are able to help us in this way.
It is the fourth sticky under “General Discussion” or just copy and paste this link: "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Gary
Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 77

We did this in our house but with stipple. We scraped it ourselves and had a drywall guy come in and skim/sand the entire ceiling. We then primed and painted. He charges flat rate of $100 a room. If it is the thick popcorn I would DIY and IF NEED BE, get drywall guy to come skim. I find that is the most difficult part. The stipple sucked though as it does not scrape well like popcorn ceilings do.

NickWa is offline   Reply With Quote