DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Look at this gap

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Mstrlucky74 
#1 ·
There were two layers of Sheetrock previously up and now I only put up one. Like and idiot me and my wife pulled down two layers but I did not remember So there is a gap now. I really don't want to buy more Sheetrock and install another layer. Is there anyway to fix/hide this? I'm hiring a taper so do you think he might be be able to work some magic?? I'm so pissed... Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW you might be able to cut a small piece to fill the gap glue it then use brown bag dura bond to fill (remember brown bag is non sand able) then tape and mud. I was going to suggest crown mould but not room over the top of the window. I would not guarantee this method long term. If you have to buy a sheet of drywall you might get 3/8 so a lot of room for the durabond. The reason for the brown bag is it's the strongest.

#3 ·
There really isn't any need for Durabond because this will be covered with paper tape.

Cut out a 3/8" strip of drywall and put it in there to fill in that gap. It's not as easy to but strip that small, but if you score both sides of the drywall, it will break off fairly cleanly. Once that gap is filled in with the strip of drywall, the taper will simply finish it as normal.

#11 ·
I had to repair a couple like this over the years. I used construction adhesive and glued in strips of drywall board to fill the gaps. I then taped the joint as you would tape any joint In the wall. Once that dried I taped and finished the corner. To do this properly you should remove the window trim and reinstall after the job is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.