Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling basement ceiling for drywall

Hi There,

Based on a previous post, I have decided to drywall the ceiling in my basement that I am in the process of finishing. I am still finishing the framing/electrical, and planning out what I want to do for drywall.

My house was built in 2007, and uses engineered floor joists, so if they aren't level, they have to be close. I am worried about a wavy ceiling with drywall though.

I have read about strapping with 1x, but that seems really time consuming with shimming, especially if everything is fairly close. I have also read about RC channel, which adds some additional sound deadening. Would either one be more advantageous to flattening everything out for the drywall prep?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Josh

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Take a piece of masons string and pull it tight on the under side of the joist to see if your worrying about nothing.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
automated tool pro

I think it depends on the size of the basement. If it's just one large open area I'd take the time to check it out. Smaller rooms I wouldnt worry so much.
About the line JoeCaption just suggested, Cut a few pieces of drywall about the size of a deck of card. Nail them in the corners of the room and run your line over the top and pull tight to the next piece and attach it. now, with another card deck sized piece of rock, go to each joist the line crossed and slip the drywall beneath it. The piece should fit snug beneath the line. If the line is too tight or there is space between the drywall, that joist is off. Keep repeating this process until you've decided whether going any further is worth it. Put a knockdown texture on the ceiling by using a pro would help too, but this is also a diy forum.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

I will give that a try. Even if it is pretty flat, is it worth looking into the RC Channel for the sound deadening effect?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
automated tool pro

that's the way I would go to. and then check it agian with the line, adjusting the depth after its up.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the help! I will look into the RC Channel.