Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

leaving a two sided wall one sided

renovating a kitchen in an older home. The house is about 50 years old and has drywall with another half inch of plaster on top. In the kitchen, I want to recess the refrigerator into the wall so that it will appear closer to counter depth. To do this, I will remove all the drywall and plaster from one side and remove the studs. (It is a load bearing wall, I will have to reframe it like a doorway.) The back of the fridge will slide in against the inside of the opposite wall. The opposite wall is my living room. Do you think I will have a problem having a 36" span of drywall with no backing behind it? What if I glued a piece of half inch plywood to it?

Does this sound like too much trouble to recess a fridge 4 inches? It is a huge fridge and a small kitchen and this is the fridge we are keeping I have been outvoted.

fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

If the frig vents to the back, no you can't bury the frig in the wall. If it vents out the front, you could do it the way you've stated but it's a lot of work and my expectations are you'll hardly notice anything changed. I assume you understand anything that hits the drywall from the other side is probably going to go thru it. You also have to replace the studs and drywall if you ever sell the house. Once this frig dies, you now have a hole that another might not fit in. Just listing a few things to consider.

TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

dont forget to consider the noise the fride makes when it turns on.. might be annoying to hear it throu the wall in the living room..
jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

I'm going to leave it be. In my last house I made the fridge wall the wet wall and it was half 2 X 8's and where the fridge went the wall was 2 X 4's. It looked great. There was cherry cabinets and wall panels surrounding the fridge and you couldn't tell anything was done. I was hoping to duplicate that here but I will succeed only in making a mess and in making more work for myself.

Sometimes you have to put things out there to confirm what was the right way all along.

Thanks for the input.
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote