Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

Large gap between ceiling drywall and wall

We recently drywalled the ceiling of my daughter's basement. The walls were already done by a previous owner. On one of the ceiling sheets, where it meets the wall, there is a gap of 5/8" at the widest point. Can this 5/8" gap be fixed, or do I have to put up a new sheet? Since it's on the ceiling, how do you keep the compound from just falling out of the gap? I read about using mesh tape and setting compound to fix it. Thanks.

Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Put some crown molding up.

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

do you have the ceiling drywall going over the top of the wall drywall ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
do you have the ceiling drywall going over the top of the wall drywall ?
No. The drywall on the wall goes all the way up to the ceiling joists.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #5

Anyone? If I use mesh tape and setting compound, will it grab onto the tape and hold? Or will it fall down because the gap I'm filling is on the ceiling? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #6

I would flat-tape the wall/ceiling gap with paper tape and joint compound. After that coat dries I would do a traditional 90 degree tape fold at the joint.
You could use a fast setting compound or just regular compound, depending on your skill level, but either way take care of the gap first and then proceed as you would normally for a ceiling/wall joint.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
garlicbreath (05-21-2014), Gary in WA (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Some filler then mouldings !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Put some crown molding up.
StrongPointLtd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Another vote for Crown Molding. Since you will have issues with the mud cracking from expansion and contraction, due to hot & cold weather, I would use a Silicone based caulk, to fill that gap, so that it seals out any outside air, and keeps in the inside.

Also any outlets or junction boxes, they should also be sealed around with either DAP foam in the can, or a Silicone based caulk.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
I would flat-tape the wall/ceiling gap with paper tape and joint compound. After that coat dries I would do a traditional 90 degree tape fold at the joint.
What do you mean by "flat-tape" ?

Do I fill the gap before any tape goes on? If so, how do I keep the mud from falling down? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #10

IMO, Dave is how I fix them. Add some screws to help hold the setting compound there, mix/apply it stiff. Dave....?

Gary
Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
IMO, Dave is how I fix them. Add some screws to help hold the setting compound there, mix/apply it stiff. Dave....?

Gary
Where do I add screws? Where the gap is runs perpendicular to the joists, so the joists are the only thing there.

My daughter wants to start taping, so I need to get this figured out. If not, we have to replace the sheet .Thanks.

Last edited by Jim McC; 01-28-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Where do I add screws? Where the gap is runs perpendicular to the joists, so the joists are the only thing there.

My daughter wants to start taping, so I need to get this figured out. If not, we have to replace the sheet .Thanks.
Where the Studs are. Hot mud may fill that gap. Try it and see how it works out.

A lot of times, yes it is easier to just trim the sheet for the angle, and replace, so that it stays a straight line. I am guessing the joists above have dropped towards one end. That really should have been fixed, before anything was done down there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #13

If sheet is just on the joist, add screws to the joist in the gap (every 1-1/2" apart for bond) to hold the setting mud, flat tape, then corner tape - both with paper tape.

Gary
Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
If sheet is just on the joist, add screws to the joist in the gap (every 1-1/2" apart for bond) to hold the setting mud, flat tape, then corner tape - both with paper tape.

Gary
I can't do that. Like I said above, the gap runs perpendicular to the joists, so I just have an open area up there(between joists).
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #15

I would slip a 1/2" x 6 x cavity width siding board or similar up/on the gap and screw through the big sheet to secure it, just for backing. Add some screws, and finish as posted. Put a couple of screws halfway in at the thick face/edge of the board to maneuver it from. Sorry about that....

Gary