Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


yeah, I'm totally clinging to that to maintain my sanity. If both sides of the wall were f'ed up, I'd be making a mess in my undies. Would be super duper expensive, and I'd definitely would have to hire out several top tier pro's to fix it. I'd be broke!

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mech_gui View Post
Riper' down then we want to see!!
But what am I looking for?! I want to conclusively find what caused this. If I'm not confident, I don't want to "destroy the evidence" and then call in a pro.
I mean, if I find a stud that is pushed outwards, yeah, that's obvious. concerning (would call in a pro, maybe an engineer to figure out why that happened!)

but if it's only the surface drywall, what should I look for?

Should I be looking for screws that are farther apart than 12"?
what else?
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Could be a lot of things and you as a home owner DIY may not even now what's wrong when looking at it.
Were you one of the many effected with the last hurricane?
Once it's open up repost,
May have to call in on site pro engineer to look at it to figure it out.
do you think pictures could capture the problem? I mean, it's difficult to capture the plumbness of framing in a picture.... or do you think it would likely be sufficiently obvious? If you think it would be, I'll tear that beast up!
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zeeland MI
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 81
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI View Post
But what am I looking for?! I want to conclusively find what caused this. If I'm not confident, I don't want to "destroy the evidence" and then call in a pro.
I mean, if I find a stud that is pushed outwards, yeah, that's obvious. concerning (would call in a pro, maybe an engineer to figure out why that happened!)

but if it's only the surface drywall, what should I look for? can you push the sheetrock back against the studs at all?

Should I be looking for screws that are farther apart than 12"?
what else?
Take more pictures cell phone movie even.

How close were you to the high winds? High winds can shove a house causing big shifts in the structure framing. They could have " racked " your roof a little.
Are there other houses in your area with hurricane damage?
mech_gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mech_gui View Post
Take more pictures cell phone movie even.

How close were you to the high winds? High winds can shove a house causing big shifts in the structure framing. They could have " racked " your roof a little.
Are there other houses in your area with hurricane damage?
well, that's almost an annual issue here on LI. Keep in mind, it's not like evil southern hurricanes (100mph+ winds) they tend to pitter out a bit by the time they reach us. Usually Cat. 1 at best... more often tropical storm level.

Most of the house damage over here was caused by trees hitting homes. Not wind damage. Siding/roofing was undamaged by the last 2 hurricanes.

This bulge was present but slight several years ago. In the last year?, it has traveled an ugly road and gotten much worse. Not sure what's causing it. The slab beneath has not shifted... the opposite side of the wall seems fine, the roof is fine....

OK, my hubby and I will tear at the beast. Don't think we have the time to make and repair such a giant mess before easter, but we'll do it soon.

thanks so much for your input everyone!!!!!

Last edited by diy'er on LI; 03-09-2013 at 08:03 PM.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


If an exterior south or west wall I could understand; http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

As it has a floor on the other side, I'm going with the rim joist shrinking (because it is drying out from seasonal changes) now that the heat is on after the mild weather... fig. 3; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-but-strange/

Although, that is an interior wall, but it is probably a "bearing" wall as well, supporting the floor joists of the up-stairs room. You may find the fasteners are in the studs above/below or the drywall joint is on the rim joist and it needs an "expansion joint" in the drywall boards. I'd cut a small section out from both upper/lower board joints and paper tape it over a 1/4" gap left for movement, or buy the correct drywall trim; pp.6, fig. 6; http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
If an exterior south or west wall I could understand; http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

As it has a floor on the other side, I'm going with the rim joist shrinking (because it is drying out from seasonal changes) now that the heat is on after the mild weather... fig. 3; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-but-strange/

Although, that is an interior wall, but it is probably a "bearing" wall as well, supporting the floor joists of the up-stairs room. You may find the fasteners are in the studs above/below or the drywall joint is on the rim joist and it needs an "expansion joint" in the drywall boards. I'd cut a small section out from both upper/lower board joints and paper tape it over a 1/4" gap left for movement, or buy the correct drywall trim; pp.6, fig. 6; http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

Gary
The expansion joint issue very likely could be it! The bulge is precisely at the point of my bedroom floor joists... Thanks so much for your input.

It would be lovely if that were the solution. Obviously, this wall's drywall is so messed up it needs to be replaced. Would be fabulous if drywall were the only repair and everything is structurally sound beneath.
Fingers crossed!
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 3,888
Rewards Points: 2,248
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


if you can't do it for 2+ weeks. you must not be that worried about doing 10 mins of work. to be able to see, or at least take pics for us to see, what is going on in there.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,555
Rewards Points: 2,018
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Is this the bulge? Can you post a picture and stand a little further back?
Attached Thumbnails
large bulge in wall - cause?-img_20130309_190427_128-20copy.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Is this the bulge? Can you post a picture and stand a little further back?
no actually, it's the giant crease about 3-4 ft above it (near the 1" hole I made on the rt side and a few inches below the brown moulding.).

What you pointed out, however, is a secondary seam that just recently began to bulge at roughly the 4' mark on the wall. (roughly 2 ft above the staircase landing)

Sorry for the disorienting picture! It's the best I can do because it's a stairwell. I took the pic standing on roughly the 8th step, looking downwards towards the landing (which is equivalent to the 4th step of the staircase). The staircase is covered w/ chocolate brown carpeting....

The recent appearance of that second seam made me almost think that there is pressure pushing down on that drywall sheet from above, causing the larger/higher bulge and this lower seam appearance.

Last edited by diy'er on LI; 03-10-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: edit location....
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
if you can't do it for 2+ weeks. you must not be that worried about doing 10 mins of work. to be able to see, or at least take pics for us to see, what is going on in there.
oh, I've been skooled by you. You are definitely right, sir. There is zero reason for me to hesitate in demoing the drywall of a massive wall right in the middle of my home right before easter.

And of course, it would only take 10 min for a diy'er with only moderate drywalling experience to fix this issue by installing scaffolding on a staircase, replacing drywall from 2ft to 10 ft in the air, taping, skimming, and painting before easter day.

I must be lazy to delay this until after the holidays.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diy'er on LI For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,617
Rewards Points: 2,270
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


He's not talking about doing the whole repair. Just take a few minutes to open up and see what is going on. To make a bulge like this something has moved or broken. It could be anything from something minor to a major support has broken. Drywall does not bulge and crack for no reason.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
He's not talking about doing the whole repair. Just take a few minutes to open up and see what is going on. To make a bulge like this something has moved or broken. It could be anything from something minor to a major support has broken. Drywall does not bulge and crack for no reason.
I know, but I can't exactly have a house full of guests with a wall missing. KWIM? Kinda obvious from my statement "gotta be after easter"
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,859
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Long Island----your house is not in danger of collapse---

If the drywall on the other side of that wall appears to be solid and un wrinkled---the chances are you have en expansion issue that finally caused the drywall to break loose from it's glue and nails.

This will wait until you have time----

What I suggest is the removal of the damaged drywall---then an assessment of the framing---either by the members here or a carpenter or other structurally knowledgeable person----

Correct the framing problem if there is one--then replace the drywall---

This will be a bit disruptive---you will have half a day protecting the area and setting up the scaffold ---an hour fixing the framing---then a couple hours hanging----then two or three days applying mud and waiting for it to dry----

This does not look like an emergency----

Just a big pain in the bottom.

My money is on a stud that is bowed and loose drywall---

How old is the house?
1970s frequently used glue and nails----bad glue----loose sheets are common from that time period.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
diy'er on LI (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
long island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 382
Rewards Points: 250
Default

large bulge in wall - cause?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Long Island----your house is not in danger of collapse---

If the drywall on the other side of that wall appears to be solid and un wrinkled---the chances are you have en expansion issue that finally caused the drywall to break loose from it's glue and nails.

This will wait until you have time----

What I suggest is the removal of the damaged drywall---then an assessment of the framing---either by the members here or a carpenter or other structurally knowledgeable person----

Correct the framing problem if there is one--then replace the drywall---

This will be a bit disruptive---you will have half a day protecting the area and setting up the scaffold ---an hour fixing the framing---then a couple hours hanging----then two or three days applying mud and waiting for it to dry----

This does not look like an emergency----

Just a big pain in the bottom.

My money is on a stud that is bowed and loose drywall---

How old is the house?
1970s frequently used glue and nails----bad glue----loose sheets are common from that time period.
Oh'mike, you are the person who gave the sage advice on the original thread I read from a few years ago on a similar topic
1975 is when the house was built to be precise. yeah, I don't doubt crappy glue was used. And yeah, they did nail the drywall. Why oh why.... some parts of code in those days was highly suspect, to say the least.

That's what I'll do, I'll demo after easter, see what evils lurk behind.... post a few good pics for the wonderful experts on this site, and see if they think I need to hire a pro to give a professional structural assessment in person, or if I can correct it on my own.

I loathe this... just because I'm not experienced at navigating super awkward locations. 16 ft ceilings.... will be tons of fun to build a scaffold on that staircase to remove wallpaper/drywall. Guess I should make lemonade from the lemons and replace the outdated light fixture over the stairs, and paint the opposing wall at the same time. Then I hopefully won't have to climb up there for another 15 years....

I really sincerely appreciate everyones input. You guys totally rock. I want you to know you really help out little guys like me more than you know.....

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diy'er on LI For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-10-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Concrete Wall Framing Against Stairs Epicsoccer Remodeling 7 01-13-2013 03:11 PM
How to face a cinder block retaining wall with stone? CarrollY Concrete, Stone & Masonry 5 09-04-2012 12:26 PM
Drywall Bulge after installed TV wall mount tstecko Drywall & Plaster 15 03-23-2010 07:35 PM
Replacing large retaining wall notfromaroundhere Landscaping & Lawn Care 6 12-17-2008 12:30 AM
baseboard around a bulge in wall henpest Carpentry 6 08-26-2008 05:57 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.