Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Hi, I am a single mom and bought my first home a year and a half ago. My dad has helped a lot with things I needed fixed but he wants nothing to do with drywall work. My home has ugly popcorn ceilings in every room. Last week I had the ceiling tested for asbestos and it was negative. So, this past weekend I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in the front of my house. I still need to do hallway and bedrooms but I think this will be easier since I don't have vaulted ceilings in the bedrooms like I do in the front of the house.

I think I did a good job and I think the drywall is in good shape. I don't have a lot of money so I would like to do a knockdown texture myself. I've googled it and watched youtube videos on it and I think I could do it. Is it really as easy as it looks? I called HD and I can rent a hopper for $72 a day. My home is 1136 sq ft. Could I spray my whole house in a day by myself? Do I prime and paint the ceiling before texture or after? I am finding a lot of different answers on this. I am really not used to physical labor so is the texturing really physically demanding? I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

singlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Far better to just skim coat it and get it flat, prime and paint.
Look around on this and any DIY web site and see the hundreds of peope asking how to get texture off of a ceiling or how to do repairs on a textued wall and ceiling.
Almost no one is asking how to texture it.
And no knock down is not easy to do and I would strongly suggest you get a pro to do it for you if you decide to go that way.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-08-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,198
Rewards Points: 1,076
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemama View Post
Hi, I am a single mom and bought my first home a year and a half ago. My dad has helped a lot with things I needed fixed but he wants nothing to do with drywall work. My home has ugly popcorn ceilings in every room. Last week I had the ceiling tested for asbestos and it was negative. So, this past weekend I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in the front of my house. I still need to do hallway and bedrooms but I think this will be easier since I don't have vaulted ceilings in the bedrooms like I do in the front of the house.

I think I did a good job and I think the drywall is in good shape. I don't have a lot of money so I would like to do a knockdown texture myself. I've googled it and watched youtube videos on it and I think I could do it. Is it really as easy as it looks? I called HD and I can rent a hopper for $72 a day. My home is 1136 sq ft. Could I spray my whole house in a day by myself? Do I prime and paint the ceiling before texture or after? I am finding a lot of different answers on this. I am really not used to physical labor so is the texturing really physically demanding? I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! That popcorn ceiling texture is really charming, isn't it?

I'm not sure what, specifically you're asking. Are you wanting to know what to do with the ceilings? Just ceilings, not walls? Knock-down texture is more common on walls than ceilings.

I'll disagree with Joe about how difficult knockdown is. It's not terribly hard to do. It's hard work, but if you mix your mud right & knife it at the appropriate time, it's not horribly complicated. The point of knockdown is to create an irregular surface, so some minor errors usually don't stick out too badly. If you leave a little knife line, you can sand it down before priming.

As far as skim-coating goes, unless you're really good at mudding, you need to either hire a pro, or go a different route.


I think the operative questions are, how perfect do you want this to be, and how much can you spend to get it done?

If you're on an extremely tight budget, you might want to consider mixing some mud in the primer, using a high-nap roller, and giving the ceiling a subtle texture that way. You can also mix some silica sand to the primer to give it a little texture.


This is probably going to be a bit tough to do, in that ceilings are usually finished before walls. But you can do it. Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


I really have no clue what I am doing and I think I got ahead of myself with removing the popcorn. But its done now and it was really ugly and dirty. It was gross looking. I have knockdown texture on my kitchen and bathroom ceilings so I figured that's what I should have on the rest of the house. I am on a really tight budget but I thought I could do it myself. I just don't have $1000 to pay someone to do it. My friend at work is going to talk to her husband to see if he can help me cause he does this type of work. I think the mud mixed with primer sounds like a good idea.

How long can the drywall remain bare till I figure out what to do? I've tried to google it but haven't found an answer. Probably not wording it correctly. I don't always have the best thought out ideas and this was one of them!
singlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,198
Rewards Points: 1,076
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemama View Post
I really have no clue what I am doing and I think I got ahead of myself with removing the popcorn. But its done now and it was really ugly and dirty. It was gross looking. I have knockdown texture on my kitchen and bathroom ceilings so I figured that's what I should have on the rest of the house. I am on a really tight budget but I thought I could do it myself. I just don't have $1000 to pay someone to do it. My friend at work is going to talk to her husband to see if he can help me cause he does this type of work. I think the mud mixed with primer sounds like a good idea.

How long can the drywall remain bare till I figure out what to do? I've tried to google it but haven't found an answer. Probably not wording it correctly. I don't always have the best thought out ideas and this was one of them!
There's not really a time issue with this.

I think you're very much on the right track getting some help from somebody who knows what he/she is doing. We've all gotta start somewhere, and having some experienced help can be priceless.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


I was inspecting the ceiling last night and it doesn't look as good as I thought. There are some areas that have a thin layer of the popcorn left. Can I scrape this dry? And a few areas where the paper tore. Do I cut the paper and use the mud on this area? And if I just leave the ceiling flat then I sand it and that's it?
singlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,108
Rewards Points: 1,028
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


You need to sand the ceilings and skim all joints and nails/screws if you want a smooth finish. Then sand again and paint. Texture skips the skim coat because the texture covers the "imperfect" joints. It saves the builder money because the texture is a "finished" product and is not (normally) painted.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjbatlanta For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-03-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Too Old
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South of North
Posts: 345
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Knockdown is a little forgiving as far as how smooth the drywall needs to be, but you need to have the surface flat and smooth.
If you are wanting to do the texture yourself I would think you need the rental for more then 1 day, it will take you some time to figure everthing out. You will be using mucles you never knew you had and the hopper gets real heavy when you are doing a ceiling.
I would suggest you hire a pro to do the texture you will be glad you did. If you do a good job floating the drywall and have everything ready a pro should be in and out in 1/2 a day.
Last if you do it yourself being you have never done it before you will not know what you are looking at when you finish the knockdown, but after you paint the ceiling and turn the lights on at night you may be very disappointed.

One thing to think of is if you have a compressor and hose a hopper is only $100 to buy then you can take your time and do 1 room at a time.
__________________
"Yeah, it's a nice garage, but you have to keep it heated at all times so it doesn't mess up your roof line."

Last edited by havalife; 05-07-2012 at 11:56 PM.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,840
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
You need to sand the ceilings and skim all joints and nails/screws if you want a smooth finish. Then sand again and paint. Texture skips the skim coat because the texture covers the "imperfect" joints. It saves the builder money because the texture is a "finished" product and is not (normally) painted.

might want to prime it first
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Drywall and Painting Pro
 
Sir MixAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne Beach, Florida
Posts: 507
Rewards Points: 276
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
might want to prime it first
Yep and I alway's like to use a stain blocking primer as an insurance policy for nice white ceiling when the job is completed.

Here's my popcorn removal video
__________________
-Paul
PeckDrywallandPainting.com Twitter Facebook Youtube Google+ Linked in

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Its so confusing some people say prime and paint first and others say after. I found someone to do the texture for me. I just need to get the ceiling ready for the texture. So I just start mudding all the areas I hit the paper and then sand it?
singlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Drywall and Painting Pro
 
Sir MixAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne Beach, Florida
Posts: 507
Rewards Points: 276
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemama View Post
Its so confusing some people say prime and paint first and others say after. I found someone to do the texture for me. I just need to get the ceiling ready for the texture. So I just start mudding all the areas I hit the paper and then sand it?
Yep.
__________________
-Paul
PeckDrywallandPainting.com Twitter Facebook Youtube Google+ Linked in

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
singlemama (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


I had a company come in and do this back in 06. They removed all the popcorn and did the knockdown in one day. Six years later I have lots of cracks and places where it's peeling off. I have vaulted ceilings in the living room and kitchen and that's where it's the worst. The kitchen has an area that's like 6'X6' that I can see is all cracking. I have a 3 bed 2 bath house @ 1260sq and only 2 beds and a bath are still good. The rest needs lots of repairs.. It looked much nicer than that fugly popcorn when it was just finished, not so much now.. Even the pro's don't get it right. Good luck..
JNAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Drywall and Painting Pro
 
Sir MixAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne Beach, Florida
Posts: 507
Rewards Points: 276
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAPS View Post
I had a company come in and do this back in 06. They removed all the popcorn and did the knockdown in one day. Six years later I have lots of cracks and places where it's peeling off. I have vaulted ceilings in the living room and kitchen and that's where it's the worst. The kitchen has an area that's like 6'X6' that I can see is all cracking. I have a 3 bed 2 bath house @ 1260sq and only 2 beds and a bath are still good. The rest needs lots of repairs.. It looked much nicer than that fugly popcorn when it was just finished, not so much now.. Even the pro's don't get it right. Good luck..
All in one day? That could be a problem.
Every step needs the proper drying time in order for it not to fail.
The knockdown should dry for 24 hours before any priming.
Was it primed?
What kind of primer?
What kind of paint?
__________________
-Paul
PeckDrywallandPainting.com Twitter Facebook Youtube Google+ Linked in

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Too Old
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South of North
Posts: 345
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Knockdown texture easy?


Glad you found someone to texture for you. As far as your question about prime and paint, after you smooth all the ceilings being it is not new drywall I would not prime before drywall texture. After the knockdown, make sure they (or you) do a light sand and scribe the corners, that will smooth the texture. After that you will probably be rolling the paint on so a primer coat would be up to you and your pocket book. I always primer my jobs before I paint but that is how I bid them.

__________________
"Yeah, it's a nice garage, but you have to keep it heated at all times so it doesn't mess up your roof line."
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texture Compound Improvised Drywall & Plaster 5 03-30-2011 07:44 PM
Kitchen backsplash over knockdown texture? Ponderous Remodeling 2 01-17-2010 05:14 PM
A few questions on skim coating, matching drywall texture, and corners Scott99999 Drywall & Plaster 9 12-08-2009 05:17 AM
Can you texture plaster walls? destes50 Painting 5 11-06-2009 10:51 AM
removing knockdown texture K_I37 Painting 7 05-07-2006 02:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.