Is Knockdown Repair Hard ? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is knockdown repair hard ?

I have a new home that has knockdown, in every room apart from the bathrooms.

I'm thinking about installing a security CCTV system, which would unfortunately mean I'd need to cut some holes in my drywall, then patch afterwards.

I've had it done before, but by a professional, and you'd never know.

But its something I'd like to learn so i can run as many wires to my hearts content.

What's the best method to learn? Are those ready mixed sprays any good ? I'd only be patching holes.

What is the actual procedure ? run some 2x1's behind, screw the piece you cut out, back in? Rub everything down, then spray ? or is there anything else i should be knowing.

Unfortunately i wasn't here to see the pro's do it, when we ran some additional electric. The wife swears they used drywall tape on the repairs they done... Would they have done that?

I'm a noob, but always willing to learn.

Advertisement

TheDoc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

The cans of texture work pretty good. Homax also has a pump sprayer kit that simulates a hopper full of mud but weighs about 1/2 as much as a hopper with less hassle setting it all up.

If you don't want to mess with the spray cans, mix up some thinned down mud and practice matching whats currently on the ceilings on some scrap drywall. They usually stomped the ceilings with a stomping brush, but other things were used to make different designs as well. You just have to practice or dig into how it was done on your ceilings.

P.S. There are dozens and dozens of threads on here detailing the art of texturing walls and ceilings. You will have to do some "searching" and lots of reading, but, there's some good info on here.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 866

You still have to tape and mud the joints on a repair.Only difference when doing knockdown is the finished joints don't have to be as pretty.They still need to be flat.
You will need a compressor and a hopper gun or you are stuck trying the spray cans.I have never tried them so can't comment.
I usually do knock down at least once a week so can answer any questions you have.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,674

The biggest mistake made is trying to keep the area to patch too small. You need to sand out at least a foot from the repair so you can feather it in. If not you get double texture around the repair site and it really shows. The spray cans are great if the repair is not too large. Wagner has a texture gun that has it's own compressor at Home Depot for $100 and surprisingly it works pretty good for medium texture repairs.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-24-2014), TheDoc46 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thanks fella's.. I have one of these, which has a strip of foam on the edge. So my best guess, is that after i spray, i just lightly press down on the globs and in a downward motion pull down? Should I wet it first? or is there already enough moisture? I'm going to pick up a can and a small piece of scrap drywall, just to play with this weekend.

TheDoc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 866

Trying on a piece of scrap is a good idea but toolseekers advice is good to sand it back so you feather it.Hard to do on a piece of scrap.You might try doing the edges on the scrap first and when dry feathering in the center.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote