Killing Some Sound - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

killing some sound

I have a bedroom over my garage. The joists are sprayed with 10" of 1/2 pound spray foam. I want to put up 5/8 drywall with accoustical sealant on every joist. Will this kill the sound to a more than acceptable level? I don't think I want to use quietrock because from what I have read, it isn't newbie user friendly and it won't kill any of the low tones (base) anyway, just higher tone. I am parking a car and a diesel truck in there. Honestly...right now it is just sprayed with NO drywall and the truck isn't THAT loud...

Advertisement

Ram Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

killing some sound

It will help but you should really add some insulation in the voids if you want better sound protection. Or look online for sound clouds or baffles.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

killing some sound

excellent!...I should be ok then. There is no room for batts. The joists are full of foam. Maybe its more than 10"...anyway. Thanks!!
Ram Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

killing some sound

5/8 drywall may help some? what you actually need is a porous material to absorb the sound before it hits the drywall. drywall is too hard, the sound just bounces around off it. you need something similar to what they use in side by side movie theaters. the sealant wont do much it'squeezed out when fastening the drywall. 1/2" fiber sound board will help most, it can be screwed to to the drywall with rock to rock screws course threaded screws. no need to find the joists to fasten it just screw to 5/8 drywall it's light weight and easy to handle I'd spent years traveling the country splitting Showcase Cinema theaters making one into two, which consists of a 12" wall stuffed with insulation, 6 layers of drywall on each side, the fiber sound board, then the corrugated panels with holes to absorb the sound. so you can be watching one movie while not hearing what the movie next door was about.

good luck
coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

killing some sound

Coupe has it right. It's about absorbing and diffusing the sound, rather than trying to block it. Drywall on the garage ceiling will help some, and is relatively inexpensive, so it's a good place to start.

The much hated and maligned popcorn ceiling texture actually absorbs & diffuses quite a bit of sound. It might be worth thinking about.

I helped a buddy build a "sound-proof" room for recording & producing. A lot of his ideas were more expensive than helpful. He ended up gluing up a bunch of foam rubber & carpet pad, and hanging some heavy rugs.

Good luck, and don't expect perfection!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

killing some sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
The much hated and maligned popcorn ceiling texture actually absorbs & diffuses quite a bit of sound. It might be worth thinking about.
I am the first to bash crappy popcorn ceilings that were sprayed on to skip taping and drywall finishing but if done right they can help with accoustics. As mentioned, I would look into baffles and sound clouds though. You can probably make your own.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

killing some sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I am the first to bash crappy popcorn ceilings that were sprayed on to skip taping and drywall finishing but if done right they can help with accoustics. As mentioned, I would look into baffles and sound clouds though. You can probably make your own.
Most of that popcorn texture was sprayed on as an lazy alternative to actually finishing a ceiling.

And I think you're right about the OP making his own sound-deadening stuff. The unconventional stuff is not only going to be cheaper, but probably work better.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote