Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Share |

I've heard of nail pops, but do screws pop?

New construction home, constructed between September-January. I questioned and specified multiple times my desire for screws and not nails. I JUST had finished fixing all the nail pops in a 30 year old house, and did NOT want to deal with them in a brand new house. I understand it's common to start a panel with a couple nails to hold it, and then finish off with screws. I can't think of any good reason to use nails instead of screws.

I see entire rows of pops. I assume they are nails. I haven't dug any out to take a closer look. I can understand a few pops here and there, but is it common to have literally hundreds of visible nail (or screw, not sure which yet) heads showing? I'm guessing there were multiple people doing drywall work. My garage has NO pops and looks better than some interior rooms.

Even the tapered joints are visible, which to me is not acceptable. I can understand having a bad butt joint, but your tapered joints are already done for you!

Just really frustrated with the drywall finish in this place. I guess they come out at about the 11 month mark to fix things, but if it's the same people, it won't be any better.

Attempting not to use an expletive laced string of words. I want to be excited about the new place, but all I can do is curse when I'm looking at these walls my wife wants to get painted, and how frustrated I am. (Kids rooms for now, will do another coat after all the repairs).

Anyways, do screws pop? Or just nails?

All over my house, irritating as hell to look at.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 02-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Pictures not showing anything as far as a problem.
Yes screws can pop.
Over driving, using 1/2 regular drywall on the ceilings, foundation movement, building with wet wood, earth quake, not enough screws, seams along the sides for windows and doors, ECT. can cause it.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Maybe it's the shadow on the picture. It almost looks like the screws are recessed and the drywall pulled away, like overdriven. So is it "popping" or recessed? Not sure if it's shadows playing depth tricks.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Pictures not showing anything as far as a problem.
Yes screws can pop.
Over driving, using 1/2 regular drywall on the ceilings, foundation movement, building with wet wood, earth quake, not enough screws, seams along the sides for windows and doors, ECT. can cause it.
Not sure I follow, you don't consider those circles everywhere a problem? Or you just can't see them in the picture?

I wish I could pin-point any one certain specific area I see them, but the more I look, the more there are.

Jb1234 - definitely popped out. The bubble does not compress like there is a void beneath.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

To me from the pic it looks like nail pop. You really need to pull one and make sure. Yes screws can pop but it is usually just a couple. If it turns out to be nails you need to get the GC back in there and raise hell. A big cause of this could be not heating and not keeping the heat on.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

Well if it makes you feel any better, I was just at a friends house that's under a year old and almost cost a half million. He has a bathroom that I counted 14 screw pops in.

Basically what I'm getting at is it's still unacceptable, but you're not the only one. I know that's of little consolation.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

Well, I just checked my feelings and they told me off. 14 pops to me is absurd. I can't imagine that's the norm. Glad I'm not the only one though.

So I dug out one of them to take a closer look. Like I said, definitely raised.

I feel relieved that they are screws and not nails. I'm guessing maybe the mud popped because the screw broke the paper. Also appears it was driven at an angle, which also contributes to the broken paper.

So what is the correct fix action, dig them out and refill/sand them all? It appears you could sand them flush, but being they're pops, I don't think that would be very long lasting.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Other things I notice more than I'd like to is a good bit of this on the seams. What are they using, 20 grit sandpaper?

Have a couple of these too.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Yeah, it seems like drywall is really suffering over the years. Something tells me it's the cheap fast labor, not the American pride craftsman of old. It has to drive the professionals on here insane. I'm assuming they didn't use adhesive on the drywall to help anchor to the studs.

Someone in the profession I'm sure will chime in. But my understanding of the fix is you wil drive a new screw in, one above and one below, then you remove the old screw since it has no holding power anymore. Then from there mud, properly sand, prime and repaint. Something tells me your patches will turn out better than the current. That looks like a hack job to me. Is it just now you noticed the bad sand job, not when you moved in? I know I have developed a crazy critical observant eye over the years. When I point things out to buddies, most of them are oblivious.

But obviously with the sheer volume of pops, this fix would be insane to do and the fix shouldn't be on you anyway.

Last edited by Jb1234; 02-17-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Push on the drywall where you think it popped.
Where not there so bare with us. It looks like there where under filled or there was air trapped because there did not force the first coat into the screw hole to fill the gap.
The bottom picture is where someone did not cut the hole big enough for the box and forced it into place and busted out the drywall instead of taking 30 sec. to open it up with a Rotozip with a piloted drywall bit.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Rock feels tight to the studs. Pushing on it doesn't cause any movement in the pops or others to surface. They may have underfilled or had air trapped like you said. I'm a friggen' DIY'er and do a better job than some of these hacks who do it for a living (not using the word 'pro' there).

I went down that road in my old house. Hell if I'm going to be the one doing it again here.

I did a pretty bad job here, first time doing anything. Screw interval was WAY off and I got a bit overzealous. I'm a ton better now.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #12

Looks like the Verizon cell phone coverage map.
Gymschu (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #13

This is why a lot of drywallers are using glue and just a few screws to hold till the glue sets. I have to ask but is this the lite weight drywall?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

Table 7
Fastener Spacing with Adhesive or Mastic Application and Supplemental Fastening
Ceilings Load-Bearing Partitions Nonload-Bearing Parts.
Framing Nail Screw Nail Screw Nail Screw
Spacing Spacing Spacing Spacing Spacing Spacing Spacing
in. (mm) in. (mm) in. (mm) in. (mm) in. (mm) in. (mm) in. (mm)
16 (406) 16 (406) 16 (406) 16 (406) 24 (610) 24 (610) 24 (610)
24 (610) 12 (305)--- 16 (406)------ --- 12 (305)-- 16 (406) 16 (406)----- 24 (610)

Well, that table didn't work as planned.... bottom two lines says it all.

Did the studs get wet during/before framing?

http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...erfections.htm

Check if the screws are 1-1/4" or 1-5/8", as the longer ones have more wood depth to shrink more; pp.11- look at the 1-1/2" nail shrinkage areas- the drywall moves the 1/16" and the wood shrinks (in the fastener depth) 1/16" for 1/8" total. Be sure there is no movement when pushing on the wall at screw location; using the same screw by just tightening it down is fine- the head dimple hasn't changed size (the drywall dimple is still intact)- only the screw hole has worn clean from the threads now. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...711HulsBKUaB2g

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #15

This really sounds like a GC who is using his crew to rock instead of a Drywall Contractor. At the time the house was built makes me suspect heat was a big factor. A lot of times they turn the heat on when they rock then turn it off when they leave for the day.
Have you made final payment to the contractor yet? From the quality of work around the light switch I don't see how this is anything more than poor workmanship and he knows it or he would try to fix it rather than telling you off. I am assuming there is no new home warranty.