Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Moh

Share |

Installing a 77 lb TV on drywall over the fireplace

So I need to install this 77 lb that I have over the fireplace, where it looks like there is only one stud, which is in the middle of the wall where I can't use it for the mount. I have this mount http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R9AUOG and it comes with screw holders for dry wall (or toggle bolts). A video of the mount and how to install it is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsaaS1_d4E, around minute 5 is when it describes the drywall installation.
I am just wondering if someone who is expert in this kind of stuff can say this is a safe procedure or not.
Moh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Moh

by the way, my dry wall is 0.5 inch. I know about cutting the drywall and installing wood blocks (how much does it cost?), but I am just wondering if the procedure shown in the video is safe and maybe I don't need to go through the trouble of cutting the drywall and then paint and ....
Moh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #3

I have a similar TV weight on a (much beefier) mount. I would never in a million years consider trying to hang 77 lbs on a sheet of drywall.

If you are going to cut out drywall and reinforce the wall, the cost is minor. A bucket of joint compound is around $5, 2x4's are about $2.50/8ft and the screws are about $5/lb. The major cost is your time and sanity.

Don't forget that you'll also need spray texture, sand paper, paint and cleaning supplies to clean up drywall dust.
Current Project: Whole House Data Wiring
Back Burner: Drywall Patching
Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote