Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas to Prevent Re-Hiding Junction Box

009 by didyapageme, on Flickr

Hello, I had an electrician out today. We were trying to diagnose where the junction (if any) was for an outlet which has died. When checking the wiring on the lamp above my sink, he noticed the corner of a junction box. So we took off the tile covering it.

I would like to avoid re-hiding it (maintain some form of access). I'm looking for ideas on how to cover the hole. I'm a beginner DIYer.

IF the answer is to just cover it back up... should I remove some more tiles so I can patch the section of the drywall... to have something to attach the tile to?

Thanks for your ideas!

hovenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

blank covers. you can find them in a variety of colors, or paint them something that matches closer to your tile. personally i think a stainless steel one would look the best, and match your faucet. it's all preference though.

i believe it's very frowned upon to have j-boxes that you can't access. that close to the sink, you might need some sort of waterproofing as well.

sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Too Old

I've never seen so many electrical boxes so close to a sink before.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

Thank you for the idea about the blank plate cover. I'll definitely cut an opening for that in the tile / drywall patch. Is it ok that the box is tile-depth behind behind? I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the gang plate screws are long enough.

What would be the best approach to repair the drywall to glue the tile back to? My main concerns is I have no where to patch to at current. Should I take off surrounding tiles to give myself more room to work and attach another piece of drywall with drywall repair clips?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Journeyman Wireman

Try to determine where the wires in the j-box go. It looks to me as if there are two coming down the wall into the box and one exiting the box and running down the wall (to the switch/gfci box?).

Relocate the j-box into the upper cabinet by installing an old work (cut in) box. Refeed the wire leaving the box with a new wire (same size). Demo out the now empty j-box and patch the hole in the wall with new drywall and tile.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
Try to determine where the wires in the j-box go. It looks to me as if there are two coming down the wall into the box and one exiting the box and running down the wall (to the switch/gfci box?).

Relocate the j-box into the upper cabinet by installing an old work (cut in) box. Refeed the wire leaving the box with a new wire (same size). Demo out the now empty j-box and patch the hole in the wall with new drywall and tile.
I believe there are 3 leaving the box. 1 to the GFCI box. 1 to the switch/garbage disposal. And 1 heading right and around the next wall to feed 3 GFCI's. The one heading right also appears to be a hidden j-box (can't find in crawl space/cabinets or attic) - and to avoid tearing apart my kitchen I'm trying to avoid finding. (The electrician I had out thought there must be another j-box (if I'm lucky) because the wiring switches from aluminum at the j-box shown to copper (hooking up to two of the receptacles).
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #8

Do what Mike Holmes does. Tear down the whole kitchen and rewire the entire house! . Lol Just kidding of course. Just bury it. You know where its at now and if its done right you shouldn't have to tear it out again. Good luck
johnzenobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Nothing that I can see wrong with it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
I've never seen so many electrical boxes so close to a sink before.
Most likely the stove was in that place before. Who knows. But I see nothing wrong with it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Switch and plug right above the sink.

Caps for emphasis DO NOT COVER IT UP.
junctions have to be accessible, use a blank cover and hang a picture/plaque over it if you want.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #12

Sure hope thats gfi plug there
handyman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #13

It is a GFI outlet.

I guess I need some help with getting the tile back up. (My plan is to cut the tile that came down to add in the blank gang plate.) Moving the box is a little more than I feel comfortable doing yet.

How can I get something up to adhere the tile to? Can I adhere to the surrounding tiles? How would you patch this drywall? I'd prefer to avoid removing more tiles as I'm afraid the drywall will continue to crumble and the job would get much bigger.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

You are going to have to patch the drywall before doing anything. That would mean removing enough tiles to allow you to go stud to stud. You can always reinstall a tile backsplash picture, vs. just the plain tile, along with having the cover either painted to blend in with the backsplash, or have a tile modified with holes drilled, that the screws would go through, so that it would be secured to the junction box.