Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

I promise, ,

never to accept a job to drywall a 42" x 96" utility room with wall height on one end of 96" and 84" on the other end. A sloped ceiling at that. Think about this. It's impossible to get a full sheet of rock into that space. Cut the boards in half just to get them in there, and one more joint per board to mud and tape. I'm not a professional drywaller ( go look at my mess and you will believe). My old soft heart took on this job for an elderly lady customer of mine, you know the type--I just cannot say NO. You can bet your sweet bippy I will from now on. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I promise, ,

Yeah, I redid 2 closets
I was thinking I could just put one 4x8 piece on the back & a 1/2 sheet on the side
Nope....couldn't get them in the doors of course

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

I promise, ,

You might not neccessarily have to 'cut' the drywall to fit it into tight spaces (or to go through tight corners like stairwells) You can score the back of the drywall and fold it, then unfold when you are in...no taping.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadaclub For This Useful Post:
cellophane (05-07-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

I promise, ,

I've done that many times. Sometimes all it takes is cutting a corner and folding it back if the piece is only slightly larger than the door....
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Household Handyman

I promise, ,

"canadaclub"--I did exactly that on two pieces. But alas, when I got there today the front of the dry wall where I folded it was puckered out. I used a wet rag to dampen it some and did get it flatter. Some mud over it, some sanding, and it's hard to notice in this storage room. David
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Handyman

I promise, ,

Hmm.. the only thing I can think of is that you scored it and then bent it. I'm not an expert like Atlanta is, maybe he can shed some light on this, but if you score it...then "snap" it, you get a cleaner cut. Like cutting tile...if you score it and push gently you only snap off half of the piece... a good 'snap' and it breaks off in a nice straight line.

Be rough on material...gentle to the girls. BUT stay away from Material Girls
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

I promise, ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Be rough on material...gentle to the girls. BUT stay away from Material Girls
What about the girls who like it rough?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Household Handyman

I promise, ,

"Leah", at my age any female who will even speak to me--makes my day. Even if they say, Hurry up old man!
This lady is pushing my limit now, I've gotten the room in drywall, primed, painted the ceiling white, the walls "Frosted Cupcake" (PINK, any way you look at it), added an extra outlet, all as she has wanted. NOW that I have the drywall up and painted, she wants a ceiling fan in this 42" x 96" room. She comes in with a 36" ceiling fan with light kit and wants it installed. This should be like having helicopter blades in this small room. I,rather politely, try to explain that this should have been noted before installing the ceiling drywall as I need to run an electric wire for the fan/light. Are you ready for this: "OH NO, I see them do this on TV all the time!" Then, the fun began again about 3:30 Friday afternoon. She also has had an aluminum patio cover and screen room added over her patio while I am there. The guys are within a few minutes of finishing and she comes out to inspect it--Where's the ceiling fan and light? I'm standing in the former storage room just smiling. I can't wait to get back Monday A.M. so see if the screen room guys are back to hang a ceiling fan. I'm sure most of you have met these type customers. David
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

I promise, ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Are you ready for this: "OH NO, I see them do this on TV all the time!"[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Georgia]
Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

I promise, ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
You might not neccessarily have to 'cut' the drywall to fit it into tight spaces (or to go through tight corners like stairwells) You can score the back of the drywall and fold it, then unfold when you are in...no taping.

I nominate canadaclub for pointing out an obvious answer to a not so obvious problem.
bluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I promise, ,

well if your going to do that its better to just put a buttjoint in there .. what youve done is created a weak point in the middle of the sheet .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

I promise, ,

Don't be afraid to mud joints. Just run the board horizontally and tape the center seam. For the long wall stand them up and run the seam vertically if you can't get it through the door.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Handyman

I promise, ,

awww shucks Bluejeans
Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

I promise, ,

being this is a do it yourself you can get away with it. ive done it a few times but the seem will appear overtime. like a long skinny blister .. but in a closet most people dont care. go for it ...
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #15

I promise, ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
well if your going to do that its better to just put a buttjoint in there .. what youve done is created a weak point in the middle of the sheet .

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote