Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I desperately need guidance!

To make a long story short, I have been left with a room that is/was plaster/lathe and it needs to be replaced with drywall. I am a female that is mechanically inclined and I am going to have go at it myself. I have few tools and even less $$. IS this something that I should be able to handle?

idnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #2

to do this you will need:

To be able to read a tape accurately, cut drywall, use a screwgun, probably good to have help holding the sheets up, understand that the joints have to land on stud centres and to stagger the joints...the ceiling is more of a pain.

the boarding isn't that hard if you can do those things, the taping and finishing you may be able to do decently if you have patience ..however it does take practice and don't expect perfect results if you've never done it, or expect a lot of sanding and coating. if you want it to to be perfect better to hire a drywaller, if you want to learn and see how it goes, and be prepared to do what it takes to get the results you want, have at it.

Removing the plaster will be labour intensive, dusty and dirty. Good to wear a mask. Think of where you can put all the debris as well...

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a chance (I dont' know without seeing it) that the drywall will be a different thickness than the existing plaster/lath. If this is the case things like doorjambs, window trim, electrical boxes, will have to be altered for this difference, or it may be worthwhile to strap the walls if necessary. I don't know how thick your existing wall is, so can't say for sure. Just check this before you start throwing drywall up.

up to you if this sounds like something you can tackle, I have no idea of your aptitude. Maybe get a friend with a big toolbox to help.

Last edited by chrisBC; 09-26-2011 at 01:22 AM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
idnic (09-27-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #3

You can definately remove the plaster yourself but it will be dirty. Just break up the plaster with a hammer to get started. Then use a crowbar/hammer/hands/etc to keep pulling down plaster and lathe. You should hire the drywall out or find a handy friend to take charge on it. But you can do the sanding yourself to save money
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwillems For This Useful Post:
idnic (09-27-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #4

Be advised dust will get everywhere if not using some kind of
Quote:
dustless
system.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post: