Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

I CAN'T be the only one!

That packs joint compound into an empty caulk tube and injects it into hard to reach areas? Or am I????

DM
Attached Thumbnails
I CAN'T be the only one!-joint-caulk.jpg  

Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I CAN'T be the only one!

Not a bad idea but I wouldn't have the patience and usually, when still painting, had ample tubes of caulking itself around for such things.

That said and speaking of patience, a friend once restored the dome of a capital building and did a lot of the reconstruction of details with drywall compound and pastry bags and cake decorating tips. I did pull off an interesting wall for a project with a similar technique.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
the Musigician

I CAN'T be the only one!

I pretty much overfill the area, then knife it smooth. It works fast and easy for a drywall dummy like me. Po)
(I didn't get all of the pieces to fit perfect, and have tiny gaps here and there along the ceiling edges to fill in and smooth out.)

So..... show us this "interesting" wall? It sounds cool!

DM
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I CAN'T be the only one!

There are a couple of companies that make THESE.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Mod

I CAN'T be the only one!

How the heck do you get the plug out of the empty tube.

The task has never even crossed my mind.

Only DM
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
boman47k (04-15-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
the Musigician

I CAN'T be the only one!

Fiberglass (old fishing) rod in vise out in shed. Shove it backwards, refill and do it again....
As many spots as I had to do though, I should have found a quart sized tube to fill...
I refilled the small one many times....

DM
Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
the Musigician

I CAN'T be the only one!

Say Willie, what was this? It ain't loading for me....

" You tried to access the address http://tapepro.com.au/manuals/WB2519.pdf, which is currently unavailable. "

DM
Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I CAN'T be the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
So..... show us this "interesting" wall? It sounds cool!
DM
Not sure I saved photos as I dumped most of my slides (know even having such things dates me). But I remember two projects.

One was for a little girl's room that was supposed to be princess like. The interior designer (and parent clients) wanted something less formal and less expensive than picture frame moldings (figured she would grow out of the look in a year or two) for her posters and things. I taped off "stripes" like you would if painting them and took the girlfriend du jour's pastry bag and cake tip set and experimented until I got kind of a cool looking border. Then I duct taped the tip to a caulking gun so I didn't have to keep filling little bags. The mixed caulking was a little soft but it worked out well. Your trick of filling compound into one would work better I suspect.

I let it harden. Primed and painted and then burnished in some gold leaf here and there.

The other was providing a series of "buttons" or "exposed" tack heads for a faux finisher doing some sort of simulated tufted paneling for a bar or reestaurant. I just snapped chalk lines left/right and up/down and used a cake tip in the intersections. I did use a pastry bag and hot mix for this as the tube stuff was too soft to give a crisp edge. I was swamped at the time and moved on to other projects. I do not know how that project turned out but the person was one of the best at faux painting (I just do not have the patience and think much of it looks out of context and looks stupid!).

The other project I mentioned, not mine, was the dome of the State Capital in Sacramento, California. Most other contractors bidding the restoration insisted molds would have to be made of the broken moldings and recast in plaster or whatever. In some cases this was true but the thing is 200 something feet in the air. My friend said he could fix most in mid-air to the point nobody would notice and cake decorator tools were the way he pulled it off. I think he ended up making some of his own tips but no biggy. It is just tubing. Whether he made any money I don't know but he got lots of publicity. And we were both emerging art students. I had just grown up around painters---not the fine arts kind---so had trade skills.

Have fun! Thanks for inspiring the memory.

Last edited by user1007; 04-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I CAN'T be the only one!

Sorry. It opens for me, even from your "quote".

It's a TAPEPRO Compound Tube. Maybe that will help with Googling it.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I CAN'T be the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
How the heck do you get the plug out of the empty tube.

The task has never even crossed my mind.

Only DM
Made be wonder too but I guess it is possible. I do remember red devil or someday marketing a tube with tintable caulking. They asked me to try it. You mixed whatever paint you were using with their caulk and filled this metal tube. Clever Idea I guess. I never bought into it. I think another girlfriend du jour found it handy for some sort of snail and slug bait that you squeezed around the yard though.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #11

I CAN'T be the only one!

I'd like to see some examples of needing to do this. I'd like to try it, but I can't think of a reason to.
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #12

I CAN'T be the only one!

This is a great idea..
Thanks for the tips.

Perfect for prefilling those darn spots where walls meet ceiling and a gap is left for whatever reason.
Far easier than filling with the knife.
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to williamwiens For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I CAN'T be the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwiens View Post
This is a great idea..
Thanks for the tips.

Perfect for prefilling those darn spots where walls meet ceiling and a gap is left for whatever reason.
Far easier than filling with the knife.
Confused. You don't tape and mud wall to ceiling joints? Relying just on mud sounds a little iffy to me? And if you get a dimple or something for whatever reason I would still just grab a tube of caulk.

Not saying this is a bad idea at all but my clients would not pay me to tear a used caulking tube apart and restuff it when they see a dozen I am nailing them retail or less for sitting in a box near me.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
the Musigician

I CAN'T be the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwiens View Post
That's about 99% of the reason, yup! It's hard for an old fart like me to reach up and work a knife like that all day.

DM
Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
the Musigician

I CAN'T be the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Confused. You don't tape and mud wall to ceiling joints? Relying just on mud sounds a little iffy to me? And if you get a dimple or something for whatever reason I would still just grab a tube of caulk.

Not saying this is a bad idea at all but my clients would not pay me to tear a used caulking tube apart and restuff it when they see a dozen I am nailing them retail or less for sitting in a box near me.
I'm doing wallpaper and ceiling trim (crown molding) so the visual does not matter, therefore no tape. (I hate that paper tape, I can never get it to stick right.) And this is sand-able joint compound, not caulk.

DM