Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How would I replace ceiling tiles with drywall on a ceiling with no studs?

The ceiling I want to replace has tiles and I want drywall instead. The only problem is, there's no stud's up there above the tiles, it's just insulation. If I were to strip the tiles and frame, the insulation would probably all fall out.

Here's an example I found of what ceiling tiles I'm talking about:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...HO-fAkbqcIlsA1

Would I need studs? I'm assuming a big yes, if so, how would I add them? It's a 1 story house and I'm not sure how, or if I even CAN nail some studs to the ceiling so I can hang and nail in some drywall. I don't have access to areas up there either, it's pretty much the attic/roof and whoever added this part didn't really think thing's through too well when they added it.

It's a corner of the house room, there's wood/studs that surround the ceiling walls on all 4 sides, but I'm not sure how I would attached some studs to them other than just hanging them there...

weedelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

A picture of what you are working with would probably get you a few more looks and some help.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

The ceiling you have is a suspended ceiling and it is installed 6 to 8 inches below the floor joists, which is what you would screw and glue the drywall. This is provided that the joists are even, level and there are no pipes or wires hanging below them. If so, the use of furring strips (metal or 1x3 wood strapping) should be attached perpendicular to the joists and then screw the drywall to the furring strips. You need to lift out a few tiles to get an idea of the condition of the joists. Also, keep in mind that you need to maintain access to any electrical boxes and gas or water shut-off valves.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yea, turn's out there's joist's further up, It was just hard to see with all the sinking insulation. I guess I'll have to strip a lot of stuff.

Any advice on working with the heating vent? It comes right down, even with the tiles.
weedelf is offline   Reply With Quote