How To Use Drywall Joint Tape? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to use drywall joint tape?

i want to know how to use the drywall joint tape. any one know the steps or process.

Show me the link or picture about this, it would be better, thanks

Advertisement

kelly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 638

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...410343,00.html
This video should help.
Keys to a good job, thin layers not just blobed on, no sanding between first and second coat, just rub the drywall knife over the surface to knock off any high places. Do not use web tape, use paper tape.

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Take a look at the post below, by Willie T. I found it extremely helpful.

First time taping - Tape has air under it
leungw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leungw For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-31-2013), Willie T (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

well you can follow the advice of this guy. Myron that drywall guy.

Or you can buy one of these little handy tools.
Best of luck with your project.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,676

That tape buddy does away with one of the big problems of DIY taping and that is applying too much mud. Don't like the piecing short strips though.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

The key to proper taping is in the mud. You have to temper the mud with a full cup of warm water, and mix it with a large mud mixer till it is nice and creamy. If you are using paper tape, make sure to buy perforated. Buy Goldblatt tools. A six inch knife, and a 10 inch knife. You put a skim coat on the joint. and fully bed in the tape with the six, and remove any excess with the ten. Then let it dry. The biggest mistake you can make is to use the mud straight, the second is to overwork the mud.

I just watched the guy in the Utube video. A drywall pro would laugh himself silly watching that guy. He dosen't know squat about taping, hanging or fastening drywall.

Last edited by jagans; 06-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
The key to proper taping is in the mud. You have to temper the mud with a full cup of warm water, and mix it with a large mud mixer till it is nice and creamy. If you are using paper tape, make sure to buy perforated. Buy Goldblatt tools. A six inch knife, and a 10 inch knife. You put a skim coat on the joint. and fully bed in the tape with the six, and remove any excess with the ten. Then let it dry. The biggest mistake you can make is to use the mud straight, the second is to overwork the mud.

I just watched the guy in the Utube video. A drywall pro would laugh himself silly watching that guy. He dosen't know squat about taping, hanging or fastening drywall.
which you tube vid? Myron Ferguson that dry wall guy? who uses a hawk and knife? or the tape buddy? Because if you say Myron. I would like to know how many books DVD's and Home improvement shows you have done. That guy can sheet rock circles around 90% of people.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I WILL give this Myron guy credit in that he knows enough to either set those corner studs out some (I prefer 6 - 8 inches), or to use corner clips (best). AND he also knows enough to hang the top sheet first. You'd be surprised at the number of videos floating around that say to hang the bottom board first.

And I LOVE that corner bead hopper he pushes.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
which you tube vid? Myron Ferguson that dry wall guy? who uses a hawk and knife? or the tape buddy? Because if you say Myron. I would like to know how many books DVD's and Home improvement shows you have done. That guy can sheet rock circles around 90% of people.
I'd go careful on using some of these "shows" to prove a guy's knowledge. Bob Villa is well known, but a bar of soap would give him a run for his money where construction knowledge is concerned.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,676

Quote:

WHY, WHY, and WHY and what about the video did you find funny. I'm a drywall guy and I didn't see anything.
1. If your mixing a 5 gal bucket of mud use about 1 qt. of water and it doesn't matter if it's hot ,cold or in between. It will be room temp before you can use anyway.
2. In what way would perforated tape be an advantage. It's thicker whice makes it harder to cover, if not careful can still see the holes after 3 coats.
3. Goldblatt tools are about as low end in drywall tools as you can get. There are so much better such as Hyde, Advantage, USG, Marsheltown, just to start. one I thought was pretty good was Kobalt from Lowe's.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
The key to proper taping is in the mud. You have to temper the mud with a full cup of warm water, and mix it with a large mud mixer till it is nice and creamy.
This is false. That is not "the key" to proper taping. There are numerous more important things. Yes, it's recommended to mix the mud, and it might be recommended to add a little water depending on the consistency as it comes (perhaps you haven't used many different brands of compound.) And it certainly isn't necessary to mix it with a large mud mixer - there are other ways, especially depending how how much you have to do.

Quote:
If you are using paper tape, make sure to buy perforated.
Why? There is certainly no need to do so.

Quote:
Buy Goldblatt tools.
Why?

Quote:
You put a skim coat on the joint.
What is commonly referred to as a "skim coat" would definitely be too thin for a tapered joint.

Quote:
and fully bed in the tape with the six, and remove any excess with the ten.
As you can see in the video, bedding and removing excess are easily accomplished with 1 tool and one motion - with the 6.

Quote:
Then let it dry.
OK, letting it dry. You got that one right. Thanks for that important tip.

Quote:
The biggest mistake you can make is to use the mud straight, the second is to overwork the mud.
Those 2 things are not even close to the biggest mistakes you can make with drywall, especially with the first coat. Not mixing the mud is one of the more overlooked things though.

Quote:
If everyone taped like that video, then it would improve upon 90% of the drywall jobs in this country. I don't doubt that a lot of drywall "pros" would laugh at a lot of silly things, but then when talking about that group, we're really not talking about mostly rocket scientists, are we?

Advertisement

Last edited by jeffnc; 06-02-2013 at 12:00 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (06-02-2013)

Tags
drywall