DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   How should I proceed? (Pics inside) (

llckll 01-14-2010 07:54 PM

How should I proceed? (Pics inside)
Hi all,

Wanted to clean up the area under my TV. You'll see before and after pics. How should I proceed? Cover up the area with drywall to fit and install a small vent cover or maybe replace the entire wall with new drywall?



The wall above the hole is not even. Seems like someone plastered over it by 1/8" to hide screws if that makes sense.

Any guidance and advice will be greatly apreciated as I plan on continuing work tomorrow and this weekend.


Scuba_Dave 01-14-2010 07:59 PM

Is that a return or does heat/AC come out ?

llckll 01-14-2010 08:00 PM

That's where the heat comes out.

Scuba_Dave 01-14-2010 08:09 PM

Does the vent end there or go up to 2nd floor ?
I'd be inclined to frame the opening out for a large vent
Something antique-e looking

Are there any other vents in the house that size ?

llckll 01-14-2010 08:12 PM

The vent ends there. That's a good idea, didn't think about that. Getting a vent to cover the area that big that also looks antique-e. After I get new base mouldings. So no need to re-plaster it or put drywall in that area to reduce the size?

Why do you ask if there are other vents in the house the same size?

llckll 01-14-2010 08:16 PM

only problem is that the wall bulges out a little and what are those metal things on the side? I may just cut that off to make it flush with the sides.

Scuba_Dave 01-14-2010 08:24 PM

I was curious if there were any other large vents in the house
I would frame out the opening with trim to the size vent that you find
Maybe larger trim to match the new baseboard

I'm thinking a larger vent was there in the past
Is that room colder then other rooms ?

llckll 01-14-2010 08:27 PM

I'd say it is colder than the other rooms because it's the living/dining room and that's the only vent.

Can you show me an example from the internet about trim around the vent? The vent is kind of wide: approximately 16.5" with a little chipped off on the left side as you can see in the pic.

Scuba_Dave 01-14-2010 08:40 PM

I was thinking a bigger vent was there which kept the room warmer
If you search you are looking for "antique heat register"
One I saw right off the bat in a Google search (images)
Older style angled out from the wall as seen in the side view

llckll 01-14-2010 08:44 PM

I'll look some up. Was looking up "heat vents". Didn't know it was called "registers". It'll have to be 15"x18". In your opinion, do you think it'll be too large?

Scuba_Dave 01-14-2010 08:47 PM

The ones pictured are 15x12"
I'm sure someone must have something close to that size

Gary in WA 01-14-2010 09:00 PM

I'd get a pro HVAC guy in there to fix your transition from round pipe to register boot. It appears to be a large void next to it that would feed cold air in from the basement/crawl that would severely temper the air supplied from the furnace. He would also know the size of register to maintain your balanced system.

Be safe, Gary

llckll 01-14-2010 09:02 PM

I can install the register boot myself. Just looking for a register that big.

llckll 01-14-2010 09:18 PM

I cannot find a register that big. I think I will just install new drywall in that area. Cut the drywall straight across and install new. What do you guys think? In the process, I will install a new register boot and take out the old metal grill.

jlhaslip 01-14-2010 10:47 PM

good plan.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1