Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to Repair Dented Corner

I'm prepping a room for painting (you'll see why when you look at the photos) and there is one problem I've never dealt with before. The corner has a dent in it. I have scraped away all of the loose paint and patching material. I'd appreciate any advice.

Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

Remove the corner bead and replace it.

Tap the mud off with a hammer--remove the tin--add new using drywall nails.

Fill with bag mix--easy sand 20 minute---that's the best way that is to far gone to save--

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

yup replace the piece. when trying to match up the 2 pieces together i'd put another piece of corner bead behind it to make it alot easier to flush it up. i cut a piece of corner bead in a diamond shape and hammer it half behind the existing cornerbead "sistering" them together.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Never install two pieces of outside corner one over the other. You will have a big hump on the corner.
Just follow Mike's advice and you will be fine. use a 6" wide drywall knife and thin coats of compound.
It's going to take at least three coats.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

ive done tons and have never had any kind of hump. ive done alot of basement flood rebuilds where the drywall was removed at 2' and the guys have cut the corner bead at 2' leaving me to repair it. i havent had a problem ever and if somehow it is humped out it wont be no more then the thickest of the corner bead and to skim that out over what 3-4feet i dont see an issue.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I'm sorry Joe, but I've got to agree with Prince here. I've done hospital corridors 150-250 feet long with soffits built on both sides of hallway. no way to bead, without 6" splice between bead laps! my father was in that hospital 2 weeks ago, soffits are just as straight now as when built 30 years ago. no humps that you can see.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Ron Paul 2012

The wider the taping knife the better! At my old station job, I was the poor sap stuck having to do corners for a new hallway we put in. Your in luck because it is painted and not covered with wallpaper.
HandymanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
retired union carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
Ive done tons and have never had any kind of hump. Ive done a lot of basement flood rebuilds where the drywall was removed at 2' and the guys have cut the corner bead at 2' leaving me to repair it. i haven't had a problem ever and if somehow it is humped out it wont be no more then the thickest of the corner bead and to skim that out over what 3-4feet i don't see an issue.
by the time you sand the tapers and edges of bead so paint will adhere. any laps will be close to zilch
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
yup replace the piece. when trying to match up the 2 pieces together i'd put another piece of corner bead behind it to make it alot easier to flush it up. i cut a piece of corner bead in a diamond shape and hammer it half behind the existing cornerbead "sistering" them together.

To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by this. I can do OK patching the walls but I'm a novice compared to most of you. I'll be replacing that piece soon and I'll probably be asking for more advice! Thanks for everything so far.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

i can help you with whatever question you have. basicly replace the corner bead from the dent to the floor. its difficult to match the new to the old so sliding a piece of corner bead under the old lets the new piece sit flush with the old piece. check with your knife to make sure you have space to fill with mud.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
retired union carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by this. I can do OK patching the walls but I'm a novice compared to most of you. I'll be replacing that piece soon and I'll probably be asking for more advice! Thanks for everything so far.
what Prince means, as I'm thinking he does? if you've ever seen a fresh box of 100 sticks of corner beads? those 100 sticks together only measure about 2-2/2 inches thick. that's only 1/100Th of an inch each or so. maybe 30-35 gauge metal, very very thin. lets say you cut 8-10 inches of that bad corner out with hacksaw very carefully! after cut, get another piece of bead 12-13 inches long, lift the cut bead enough to slide the new bead under both ends of cut bead 1 1/2"or so, when you push it all back together, you'll have 1/100Th. edge that you can sand down fairly easy to be almost nothing. when you finish feathering the bead with mud, sand it as usual, then sand again over the outside edge of the bead scuffing the bead a bit, paint will stick better. when done it will be very hard to see the spliced piece you put in. paint covers a lot, making it practically unnoticeable

Last edited by coupe; 02-29-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #12

This corner is in the opening of a closet door so it does not go all the way to the ceiling. Half is already exposed so maybe it would be faster just to replace the whole piece? My drywalling skills are pretty weak so I'm concerned I will struggle with that method without actually seeing someone do it first.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

If you nail the bead down securely above and below the dent, you can "tap" it back into shape enough to where you can finish it. I do it all the time. More mud will "pop" off, but it beats replacing the whole piece. At least give it a shot....
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

If I take out the old bead and install a new one I just nail it up and start pasting, right?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Correct.