Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 10
Share |

How often can you add water to mud to thin it

Silly question......

How often can you add water to mud.....can you add a little each day or will this screw up the setting/holding power?

Using regular all purpose mud in the "omg its a bloody heavy bucket" Its still stinkin hot down here. First day I add water and I can play Picasso but by the end of the second day things are getting a bit stiff (me and the bucket ) Can I add water daily for a couple of days or does this mess with the super secret setting formula.

Thanks

Robyn

forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 30

You should only need to add it once. You are not using right out of the bucket are you? You should be using a mud pan or hawk, keeping your bucket lid on tight between fillings. And put that piece of plastic on top because this will also keep it from drying out. If it does get still you should just be able to remix it and loosen it up. Too much water will affect the strength of dried mud.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 0

helpful tip...if it's taking you more than a day to use up your mud and you plan on using it the next day at the same consistency. Take your 6" knife and sweep clean the sides. Look at that mud. If it's full of crust/dryed mud through it out. If not through it back onto of the rest of the mud in the bucked.....OK...here's your answer. take a could sweeps across the top of the mud to flatten it out. Take a sponge full of water and clean the sides of the exposed bucket sides. thr water in the sponge will collect on top of the mud. what you want is to completely cover the mud with a very fine layer of water. as long as that water sits on top it will be right for the next day. Be sure and put the lid back on of course. Pop the lid off the next day and mix that water into your mud. essentially. you just killed two birds with one stone, your mud has been preserved the best way possible and it's ready to be mixed...........a third helpful tip....whenever you take mud out of the bucket to use, always take it from the center, and by that I mean dig deep down the center leaving and nice layer coating the sides. when you get about halfway into the bucket ThEN sweep the sides clean. by doing this that mud has been preserved, being the sides were never exposed to air. May sound odd and you may get some on you when you dip into it, but your mud has been preserved for use. Use your judgement as the temp is high there, and you may not be able to dig that deep into the center before sweeping the sides clean.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #4

i just took out a 1/2 full bucket that sat for 10 months. it is perfectly fine.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the tips. I am using a hawk and not using it straight from the bucket. I have also been cleaning the sides and putting the plastic on overnight....what I have not been doing is covering it while in use.

I will put the lid back on in between and see if that helps. I do re mix it the second day but I guess not putting the lid back on between pulls is allowing it to dry somewhat. I know the walls are drying quickly - heck its 90 degrees here today and no AC

Have gone through 5 buckets in the last week. Its amazing the differences between each bucket. I even got what I am calling a "bingo bucket" weighed a bunch more than the others and when I popped the lid It was jammed to the top instead of being filled to the usual 3 inches from the top. Pretty sad that 3 extra inches of mud in a 12 dollar bucket excites you

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Pretty sad that 3 extra inches of mud in a 12 dollar bucket excites you
When the job slogs on endlessly you celebrate any the little victories you can get. Good luck!

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (09-16-2013), forcedreno2012 (09-15-2013)