How Much Sheetrock - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how much sheetrock

How do I figure out how much sheetrock I need to turn my garage into a room.

Advertisement

Cindymoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Phoenix

Rewards Points: 75

how much sheetrock

figure out your square footage & then check this site out: http://www.house-flipping-helper.com...alculator.html

Advertisement

Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

how much sheetrock

For new construction on a 'typical' subdivision home, multiply the floor square feet by 4.
Approximately that much board should be ordered.
Your mileage may vary.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

how much sheetrock

walls - total linear feet times wall height divided by 32 (assuming you are using 4x8 sheets)
ceiling - Sqf of ceiling footprint divided by 32 (again, 4x8 sheets)

example: 12x12 garage, 8 foot walls
walls = 36 linear feet X 8 = 288 Sqf divided by 32 = 12 sheets
ceiling = 12X12 = 144 divided by 32 = 4 1/2 sheets
total = 17 sheets (18 since they come in pairs)

and get at least a couple extra. its a lot easier to return them later than regret not having enough if you screw up.

so, basically comes out to the same as what jlhaslip suggested (i just need to break it down.)

now, if you have taller than 8 foot ceilings, or wall runs longer than 8 feet, consider using larger sheets (4x10, etc...) as this will reduce butt end seams. might even save some money?
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

how much sheetrock

it's priced fairly similar. 12' boards are about 50% more than 8' boards but it finishes faster. the fewer seams you have the better. use paper tape if you want to avoid cracks. not saying glass always cracks, it's just more likely to than paper even if you have it in hot mud.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

how much sheetrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
and get at least a couple extra. its a lot easier to return them later than regret not having enough if you screw up.
I totally agree with this, but have to laugh all the same. I recently added a second level addition, and had drywall ordered/delivered while they could still boom it through an opening in the side of the house. Unfortunately, both myself and another person thought we had a fairly accurate estimate of how much drywall was needed. After I finished hanging it all, I discovered that I (and the other person) had somehow calculated a need for 26 extra sheets of 12' drywall . To this day, I still don't know how I over-estimated by that much, but it was a real treat trying to get it out the second floor patio door and down to the ground level without banging it up so that I could return it. Good luck with your estimates, and using the above suggestions will hopefully get you a fairly accurate estimate.

Advertisement

H8Mondays is offline   Reply With Quote