How To Fill Around This Box - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How to fill around this box

The plaster in the picture is about 1" deep. It was made the old fashioned way with layers of different plaster. Is there a single product today that I could use to fill a 1" deep x 1" wide gap like this or do I need to square the hole better and tape in pieces of drywall before I patch it?

Before you say I should have used an old work box, there's a ceiling inside the wall directly above where I want the bracket, so the wings wouldn't work (yes, I could have put the box slightly lower, but I didn't and I prefer the more secure new work brackets), and there's a wall directly to the left so a mud ring wouldn't work. I plan on installing a "screw block" behind the mesh with lath screws so I could screw in the bracket.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Banned Electrician

Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The plaster in the picture is about 1" deep. It was made the old fashioned way with layers of different plaster. Is there a single product today that I could use to fill a 1" deep x 1" wide gap like this or do I need to square the hole better and tape in pieces of drywall before I patch it?

Before you say I should have used an old work box, there's a ceiling inside the wall directly above where I want the bracket, so the wings wouldn't work (yes, I could have put the box slightly lower, but I didn't and I prefer the more secure new work brackets), and there's a wall directly to the left so a mud ring wouldn't work. I plan on installing a "screw block" behind the mesh with lath screws so I could screw in the bracket.
What's going in the pipe?

Advertisement

joecaption (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Two coaxial cables, but I may split them when they exit the tube so I'll have four coming out of a wall mounted box. I'll put raceway there eventually.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Could try canned foam. Then saw it off flush and skim coat to match the wall.

Build it back up with patching plaster? Drywall mud doesn't always work so well in big amounts with plaster.

They make mesh patching material that is rigid. Cut it, apply mud to blend it in. Paint store will have large pieces but a box store will probably only have little ones, if at all.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

I just remembered that I have fire block sealant but I'm not sure if anything sticks to it and it doesn't say how thick you can make it. I think I'll use it and put drywall tape over it. The rigid patch sounds thick.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Two ways I would do it depending on how much time you want to spend on it, and skill level

Mesh first then a fiberglass reinforced mortar or bonding cement then plaster (not joint compound)

Or a quicker way would be mesh and bondo sand to desired smoothness
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

I assembled the Wiremold "starter box" temporarily to see how everything fits. The low voltage bracket will stay in there when I fill around and behind it. It flexes slightly but it's strong enough for driving screws. No decision on the fill yet.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill around this box-starter-box-photos.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 532

You could get a jumbo size faceplate at Home Depot... not the best option but it might work...
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

I filled it with a fire caulk and joint compound and used a single gang box. The first three coats of joint compound cracked a little (parts were 1/2" thick), but the last one worked. I'm adding another coat because I want the box to lay slightly more flush against the wall with no gaps. There are two pipes in the wall covered with asbestos and a breeze comes from the hole on windy days. I may look into how to test air for asbestos.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill around this box-hallway-box-opened-closed.jpg   How to fill around this box-pipe-wall.jpg  

Last edited by Dorado; 04-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 508

asbestos testing isn't really a DIY task. Have a testing company come in and do an air sampling. They'll then analyze it under microscope and let you know how much is in the air.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote