Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How effective would this be for sound reduction

Our laundry room wall is shared with our main TV room. The water noise when the washer is filling is terrible. And generally the overall washer/dryer noise is annoying.

I've looked at things like quietrock and similar and I've read a lot here on the cons of this method.

Taking a page out of soundproofing my car, I started thinking...

Would adding an 1/8" layer of closed cell foam to the existing sheetrock and layering another set of regular drywall on top of that work well? In this case, you'd both decoupling and adding mass, so I would think this would be a good/easy/cheap solution.

Since this would go on the TV room side over the existing drywall, there's no moisture issues.

PhxWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,230

I don't think this would work, any gain would be so minimal you would probably not notice and what a mess. You would probably gain more by removing the drywall and filling the stud cavities with insulation, but I'm not sure how much that would help. There is a magazine called "Fine Homebuilding" that has done some articles about noise suppression, and try "That Drywall Guy" Myron Ferguson he has also written on the subject. Do a search on these websites and you may find your answer.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Check the info over at http://www.avsforum.com regarding home theater building. The easy way to get rid of the sound transfer, would be to start by placing Quiet rock, or Roxwool into the cavities, then use a layer of gypsum, Green glue then the second layer of Gypsum. You will also have to isolate pipes from rubbing, by using rubber hose pieces, or rubber ring stands. Also will have to put in a solid core door, and place a door seal at the base & around the two sides & top to help seal any noise transfer.

After all of this, then you have to figure out how to get air back into that room, for the dryer to do its job.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

I was hoping to not open the wall, just to save money/hassle/cleanup.

I think there was confusion about the closed cell foam - I'm not talking stuff from a spray can. I'm talking about the large sheets (similar to what you'd pack boxes with). There's no mess involved.

I would think it would be similar to Green Glue (except they claim dampening properties too which wouldn't be the case with CCF).
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,230

Believe me I'm not an expert on this but to sandwich the foam between 2 sheet of drywall would have no effect but that's just a guess maybe some one that knows more will be along.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I don't believe CCF offers much in noise reduction like what you're trying to do. In car audio, it's used more as a decoupling layer between the body, panels, and MLV (mass loaded vinyl), which is the part that really reduces noise. Some say the CCF offers some higher frequency reduction, but I don't think it would do what you are wanting it to do in this situation.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I don't believe CCF offers much in noise reduction like what you're trying to do. In car audio, it's used more as a decoupling layer between the body, panels, and MLV (mass loaded vinyl), which is the part that really reduces noise. Some say the CCF offers some higher frequency reduction, but I don't think it would do what you are wanting it to do in this situation.
Exactly - the CCF is the decoupling layer and the second layer of drywall would act similarly to MLV (adding mass as a sound barrier). I would think (but not being an wave form engineer I can really only theorize) that decoupling would reduce vibration transmission (similar to offsetting studs) and the added mass would block more noise. In fact, if I look at how quietrock (and/or similar product) is made, it seems they're basically doing this, except they're using a goo (the stuff that sticks to your knives when you try to score it) as the decoupling layer between the 2 layers of gypsum.