Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

How do you handle door & window molding when you double-drywall?

I have a room that I'm prepping for my elderly mother. Because she'll be living with me (a rather noisy home theater/music guy), I am going to use "Green Glue" and double-drywall to help minimize noise transmission into her room.

This means I'll be placing new 3/4" drywall over the existing drywall, with a thin 1/8' layer of green glue sandwitched in between.

I need help figuring out how to handle the transition to doorways though.
Existing door trim lays on top of the door jamb and existing drywall. They are flush fitting.
Once I set the 3/4 drywall on top of existing drywall, there will be a ~3/4" gap where the drywall protrudes further out than the door jamb.

How do I manage this?

Not sure how to handle the window molding either.

CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

I'm not an expert, but, I am not a fan of creating custom jambs and such, if truely not needed. However, if you insist, I would think you need to add a filler piece to the jamb to create that extension to compensate for the new thickness. After you drywall, the casings would then be flush again with the new walls and jamb. You will have a seam, unless you plan to also back fill the wood extension with a wood filler. Are these
jambs painted wood or stained? Painted is easier to hide and work with.

You realize that sound also travels through floors and ceilings. How would you manage that transient pass through? Are the current walls insulated inside, even if interior walls?

Easy way here, turn the volume down and skip all of the work, IMO.

pesos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
I'm not an expert, but, I am not a fan of creating custom jambs and such, if truely not needed. However, if you insist, I would think you need to add a filler piece to the jamb to create that extension to compensate for the new thickness. After you drywall, the casings would then be flush again with the new walls and jamb. You will have a seam, unless you plan to also back fill the wood extension with a wood filler. Are these
jambs painted wood or stained? Painted is easier to hide and work with.

You realize that sound also travels through floors and ceilings. How would you manage that transient pass through? Are the current walls insulated inside, even if interior walls?

Easy way here, turn the volume down and skip all of the work, IMO.
Yeah, I was thinking I might have to create a custom "filler". Was hoping there was a more industrial solution though.

Flooring will have 6mm rubber underlayment and heavy wood flooring and ceiling will also be double-drywall with green glue.
Eventually, the I-Joists area under the floor will also get extra filling, and the downstairs ceiling (where noise is created) will also get a double-drywall ceiling. I'll probably skip RISC clips because they are expensive $$$.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #4

I've never seen 3/4 drywall. More likly it's going to be 5/8.
A major pain to do what your trying to do. Every door and window will have to have the trim removed and jamb extentions made and installed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've never seen 3/4 drywall. More likly it's going to be 5/8.
You're right, I just couldn't remember for sure the size. It is 5/8.
NOT 1/2" like everything else around here is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A major pain to do what your trying to do. Every door and window will have to have the trim removed and jamb extentions made and installed.
Ugh.
Still gonna do it though.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

This is 5/8 drywall and has a 'green glue' type material built in at the factory. Worked very well in a project we did. No messy glue to deal with...

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/produc...9%2000-173.pdf
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #7

J-channel on drywall edge, do I glue or just put in place

Gary
Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Have you considered using one of the "quiet rock" products? Not sure of the names right off hand but one layer is said to be equal to several layers of gyp. this will increase your stc rating and cure your trim issue. You would have to remove current drywall but that will allow you to put in sound batts and puddy pads on outlets which are huge holes in your rating. Just a thought.
kj6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

If I recall correctly, the quietrock and greenglue systems don't do much to attenuate low frequencies, so it's something to consider. Low frequencies will also be a problem if you don't decouple the walls from the ceiling and floor.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
kj6887 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #10

I'm nearing completion of my project (one day...) and soundproofed the walls adjacent to our living space and have done extensive research. If you are going to do it, you have to cover all the bases or sound will seep through. Not mentioned in the thread: electrical outlets, switches and any wall penetrations. Sound will leak right through them. Putty pads help.

It's a costly and intensive effort, but well worth doing when done correctly. As mentioned, staggering the walls will result in a much greater degree of soundproofing, but this may not be possible. Double drywall and greenglue is also very effective, as mass is a serious sound dampener. You could double drywall both sides of the room (inside the room and outside the room on adjacent walls and ceilings).

Or if you have one room from which the noise will eminate (i.e., home theater), you could consider soundproofing that space instead.

But wherever you can stagger a wall (or better, build a separate wall, but be aware of the "triple leaf effect") or use resilient channel for the ceiling below, all the better.

This link has a lot of articles that will educate:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing-articles/

You can also google the terms: Soundproofing, staggered wall, STC rating.

Good luck.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Soundproofing Guy

You will find that pre-damped drywall will weigh less, and cost considerably more than buying $7 a sheet drywall and field applying the damping compound. $50-$100 a sheet specialty drywall is tough when you have a 11% waste factor.

Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote