Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

how do i finish drywall on my stair steps

my drywaller did a really bad job on my basement stairs there are large gaps between the treads abd the bottom of the drywall, I guess he figured the carpet would cover it up, is that the right nway to finish drywall on stairs? Should I try to fill the gaps and tape them

Last edited by elkhunter; 09-05-2011 at 06:43 PM.
elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Busy DIYer

That might not be the right way, it seems the installer figured it will not be very visible and perhaps would be covered.

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
DIY staff

I'd need to see a picture---But the stair case should have had a skirt board to butt the drywall to ---or a gap wide enough to slip the drywall along side the steps.

Asking a drywall hanger to cut zigzags onto paper covered gypsum and expecting a tight joint is hoping for more than most can deliver.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Mike's correct, the stairs should have a skirt board. Often they aren't put in until the basement is finished, which means before the drywall hangers get there, the step treads need to be pulled up and cut back an an inch (each side) to allow the rock to go down behind the treads. After the rock is hung, the treads need to be pulled again, the 3/4" skirt board installed, then the treads are cut to the proper length and re-installed. In new construction when the drywall is hung, there are just temporary treads (2 2"x4"'s per tread usually) that are cut back far enough for the drywall and the skirt board o the trim man doesn't have to pull the treads....