DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   How do I correct small rips on my drywall? (

yummy mummy 10-05-2008 09:31 AM

How do I correct small rips on my drywall?
Some areas of my drywall have little nicks on them and the paper has lifted.

What would be the best way to fix this?

Should I make an indent where the paper has ripped and fill it?

Should I just go over it with some compound?

Thanks for your help

Marvin Gardens 10-05-2008 09:41 AM

Take a utility knife and carefully cut the paper that is pulling up so that it doesn't pull any more. Then get some spackle and carefully fill the hole without going outside more than needed. Try to match the surrounding texture if you can.

Then paint over the patch.

If you need some texture you can get a spray can (it smells bad and is expensive) that will make all different kinds of texture. Practice on some scrap sheetrock or wood before try it for real.

bjbatlanta 10-05-2008 09:41 AM

If they're just minor "dings" you can just touch up with a couple of coats of regular compound and lightly sand. Cut the loose paper away. If they're fairly large and the core of the rock is visible, you will need to tape and finish. (Mesh or paper; use setting compound on first coat if you use mesh.) You can make a small indentation if needed to get the surface flat prior to mudding.

yummy mummy 10-06-2008 12:14 AM

Thanks for all your help.

They are small rips. No drywall showing through. I will just remove the tape and put some compound on it. I think that will work.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1