Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |

How did this float job come out?

I just had a floater in to handle various areas in my house, including an office (converted from a garage). I noticed that tape seems to be showing through the mud in areas. No apparent loose edges (except as noted below).

How would you experts rate this job? Are there any apparent issues? Thanks!

How did this float job come out?-floated-img_9435.jpg

How did this float job come out?-floated-img_9425-edit.jpg

Below is a crop of the above image. Here, when I run my fingers along the area where the horizontal float intersects with the corner float, it sounds as though there is no mud under a small area at the corner. You may be able to see a few 'holes' in the mud. Problem? If so, could a good caulk correct it? Recommendations for a good caulk for caulking newly floated sheetrock to an existing textured wall (sand) and existing ceiling (popcorn) appreciated.

How did this float job come out?-floated-img_9425-edit-edit.jpg

Last edited by rightit; 09-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

You could take the "floaters" advise anf slap on 2 coats of Valspar and be done with it( be sure not to knock off the sanding dust ).
Or you could get a real "floater" in there to do it right

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Where I am in central fl. this is a very big problem, they come in and do bad mud work and usually get away with it because the texture will hide it. After it's been painted it does't look too bad. Then a couple years down the road when problems do start showing up they are long gone. If I was you I would go around and check every seam and every joint they taped very close. To fix this is a big deal that texture has to be scrapped off, the joints remudded, then retextured. Make sure you also check where the wall meets the ceiling. Keep us posted. FYI these joints should have at least 2 coats of mud 3 is even better.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
rightit (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses. I had a quality contractor/friend come take a look. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. My biggest relief is that areas where I thought the tape might be an issue aren't. So the project moves forward toward the deadline.

Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Despite what the friend said, you need another coat of mud on the tape
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #6

I agree with crisn. I think your friend may be a g/c (general contractor) my suggestion would be to call a drywall contractor and have him look at it and give you a estimate it may surprise you. For someone with the tools and experience this won't be that big a job.
rightit (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Despite what the friend said, you need another coat of mud on the tape
I appreciate the follow-up response, and if it was anyone else, I would have my doubts. But I've known this guy for decades and called him because he is not only the most knowledgeable person I know in all aspects of construction, but also the most anal about doing the job right (and knowing what 'right' is). If he said the tape was fine, believe me, it was beyond doubt fine.

Again, thank you for your comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to rightit For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

Rightit I have to agree with you. We are not there and cannot see it in person as he did. If you trust and have confidence in this contractor then that is absolutely the way to go.
rightit (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

that is not a quality job but it's your house. if you friend thought that was an ok job then his idea of quality and my idea of quality are two different things.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Right! What he^ said

Amendment
Looking at the pic, this is what I would think, maybe it is a bad pic
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
that is not a quality job but it's your house. if you friend thought that was an ok job then his idea of quality and my idea of quality are two different things.

From my OP, it should be obvious that the quality of the job was in question. In fact, 'not the best, not the worst' implies average, give or take.

As far as my friend, I doubt many surpass his standard of quality and integrity. I've not placed my trust in his opinion lightly. That the seams stay put is my primary concern. A coat of First Coat Primer should handle the rest, and even knock down the texture to the light texture I asked for.

I appreciate your response, but the friend gets the final word for the above stated reasons plus one: He was actually in the room.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

then why ask anybody here their opinion if you were gonna do what your friend said anyway? that job isn't anywhere near average.
use eggshell paint it will last longer and be washable.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Amendment
Looking at the pic, this is what I would think, maybe it is a bad pic
It's tough to get a fix with a forum image. It's really not a great job, and that's disappointing, as I appreciate quality work. However, as mentioned, the taped seams were my primary concern, and the First Coat Primer (sprayed and rolled by a following helper) should take care of any uneveness.

I should also mention that finding a contractor who really cares about his work is a rare find. I've done 80% of this job myself because of that. Of the few outsiders I've had in (for the permitted trades and what I couldn't handle), I've only been happy with one or two.

Having owned and operated an A/C business for close to 30 years, I've always tried to take integrity in my work and give the customer more than expected. My experience with this reno (first time I've used "outsiders" for anything) has opened my eyes to what people go through when allowing workers into their home. I think that for a large percentage of people, dealing with contractors is a nightmare.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
then why ask anybody here their opinion if you were gonna do what your friend said anyway?

Actually, I asked here first. Based on the opinions here, I called in 'my friend'. Yet somehow, what most would consider prudent, you seem to imply is unreasonable.

Quote:
that job isn't anywhere near average.

I have to say, it's a bit difficult to place confidence in your assertions when they are stated with such an arrogant tone.

Quote:
use eggshell paint it will last longer and be washable.

I'm looking into a quality scrubbable flat. I hear it hides imperfections better and a quality brand should last (I also hear that some have a 'no fade' guarantee)

http://www.hirshfields.com/paint/paints_bm_matte.html
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
It's tough to get a fix with a forum image. It's really not a great job, and that's disappointing, as I appreciate quality work. However, as mentioned, the taped seams were my primary concern, and the First Coat Primer (sprayed and rolled by a following helper) should take care of any uneveness.

I should also mention that finding a contractor who really cares about his work is a rare find. I've done 80% of this job myself because of that. Of the few outsiders I've had in (for the permitted trades and what I couldn't handle), I've only been happy with one or two.

Having owned and operated an A/C business for close to 30 years, I've always tried to take integrity in my work and give the customer more than expected. My experience with this reno (first time I've used "outsiders" for anything) has opened my eyes to what people go through when allowing workers into their home. I think that for a large percentage of people, dealing with contractors is a nightmare.

Don't bet on it That primer will help but it is not designed to fill in gaps and such and it is not a very good sealer either. Not that I am questioning you're"contractor" friend but the particular primer is no where near top quality ( in my lowly painters opinion)