Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How to cut into wall to find markings (making sure its not chinese)

Hey guys,

I have a house built in 2004 and it has been inspected a few times so I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't have chinese drywall. I looked on both sides of the attic to be sure. The attic has USG drywall and USG verified its ok, but what about the non-ceiling drywall-how do I find the markings? I heard that is different stuff than the ceiling drywall and want to double check. The house shows no signs on the copper in the air handler, outlets, mirrors, fixtures etc. I'm just super paranoid and have lost sleep over this because some houses built in 2006 in the neighborhood have both good and bad drywall. I've been told by the homebuilding company guy that also inspected mine that you would see it right away in the air handler and it was clear in mine.

Whats the best place and method to get behind the drywall and look for the markings? Minimal damage is best.

Thanks!!

Drywallhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
(the original)

After seven years, if you're copper doesn't show any sign of blackening and corrosion, you don't have anything to worry about. You're money would be better spent on some therapy to help with your paranoia.

You'd have to cut into every sheet to be sure, and even if you found some labeled "made in China", it doesn't necessarily mean it's the bad stuff. Then you'd have to have it tested at a cost of $150+ per sample, one sample per sheet......you do the math.

If you still need reassurance, have an air quality test done in your home. It'll be a lot cheaper.

While there was some bad stuff around in '04, it's much more common in homes built during the material shortages following the '04 and '05 hurricane seasons. '06 was probably the worst year.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
Drywallhelp (08-14-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Thanks for your reassurance, my family tells me I have a problem going on about this all the time (mental). I guess I just think its too good to be true etc. finally getting the house I wanted in a great neighborhood. There are a lot of custom archways etc. if that matters. I had 2 inspectors that said it was fine and the builder. I probably have bad OCD about this. ... Thanks though!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

What would the air quality test look for? I heard thats not a super reliable test for Chinese drywall. What do you think?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Looking for labels on the back of the dry wall may not tell you much. The drywall may have been made in China by a Chinese company that is a partner of a U.S. drywall manufacturer using U.S. equipment and processes.

China usually does require that "Made in China" is on all products, but the U.S. does not have that kind of control on imported materials, so the lack of a label does not mean that much.

If the house was built in 2004, the drywall is probably U.S. made and was installed before the Katrina caused shortages when U.S. manufacturers could not supply enough, so they imported from their foreign plants or other foreign plants that they had arrangements with.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

A good air quality test would look for higher than normal levels of sulpher compounds in the air. The sulpher compounds combine with moisture from the air and create a weak form of acid that corrodes copper fittings, wires, pipes, etc. If you haven't got any corrosion showing up, I doubt that you have an issue. Usually, all of the drywall for a residence is dropped at the jobsite at one time, so in my experience, it's all of one manufacturer. If you have USG labelling on one piece, it's probably all the same.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
Drywallhelp (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Thanks for your reply. You are right about how usually its all the same drywall, but I talked to a guy on a chinese drywall jobsight and he showed me USG in the dumpster. I said whats that? He said "o thats good drywall, this house has both good and chinese drywall" Thats what worried me.

I recently installed a wall mount for a TV and cut a pass through hole for wires. I looked in the hole and matched a series of numbers to my USG ceiling drywall. This wasn't the main stamp they put on, but rather a long number in another spot on the board. It was a really long number that looked like it started with a date and the first 8 numbers or so were the same then they changed so my property more than likely has all USG. At least that piece was and I looked through the other wall mount (mounted 2 TV's) hole on the other side of the house and the backing material looked the same, but I couldn't find the markings (this USG stuff has them spread out really far apart even in the attic). This was enough to calm me down a lot and consider my house cdw free from the markings (besides inspectors who said it was fine, but couldn't see in the walls).

Some paranoid stuff huh? It really can drive you crazy!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It could have come USG. They make and also import drywall (from plants they may have an interest in) that may not be stamped as USG. Just because it may be made in China does not make it bad. - Heart monitors and pacemakers are probably made there under license also.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
It could have come USG. They make and also import drywall (from plants they may have an interest in) that may not be stamped as USG. Just because it may be made in China does not make it bad. - Heart monitors and pacemakers are probably made there under license also.

Dick
USG has a letter they put out stating they have never imported any drywall. I hear that is true, but you could argue about that I suppose.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

Anybody got any good recommendations for test kits or labs to test drywall?

Last edited by Windows on Wash; 10-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

I can't really offer much as to the testing part, but drywall supply companies will often stock several different brands of drywall to keep their supplies up, so you COULD have a mixture. One mfgr. may not have run enough of a certain length of board, so the supplier will call around and see who's got some 10' or 14' for sale (for example). And suppliers get the stuff in by the railcar and semi-load, so they may have only had a small percentage of imported board "mixed in" with "good" board. You could have SOME Chinese drywall mixed in. Perhaps the 8' board in your house is Chinese??? It's scattered throughout the house. You go to cutting holes all over the house to try to find out and then have pay to repair them IF it turns out it's not Chinese. The mfgr's. stamp could be anywhere on the sheet, so where do you cut your hole? If there IS a difference between the ceiling board and the walls, it's likely just the thickness (maybe 5/8" on the ceiling) not a different manufacturer altogether. As stated above, if there aren't the "telltale" signs on the copper and air handling equipment, I think you're probably safe. I would THINK the issue would have "reared it's ugly head by now....
concretemasonry (10-14-2011), ratherbefishin' (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
(the original)

Here's the latest guidelines:

http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/index.html

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote