DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to create a cove transition between ceiling and wall?

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  D-Hoggs 
#1 ·
I am renovating my entire house, gut job, the drywall is easily my least favorite part. Anyway, in the greatroom I have a cathedral ceiling with exposed beams. There is one wall that I did not remove and replace with new drywall, and the transition between the wall and ceiling between each beam is not even. Some edges are higher than others, some are skewed, it will look terrible if I just do normal corner bead. I am thinking that my best option is to create a curved transition, allowing me to somewhat even up the edges between each beam. How would I go about this? The inside bullnose is not going to be big enough, and I know I can't just start forming a curve with mud as it will need a large enough amount that it will just crack and eventually fall out. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks very much.

#2 ·
You could make or buy a mold and cast plaster. Why not look on line for architectural molding already made though. It might make some purists cringe but the extruded foam is easy to work with and comes in all kinds of shapes. Nobody will know it is foam when painted and since it is up against the ceiling people will not be wacking it with chairs and things one hopes.

http://www.americanfoamconcepts.com/trims_sills.htm

#3 ·
Well the problem is that each area between the beams where the wall meets the ceiling is different. One edge is higher or lower than the one next to it, sloping from left to right or right to left, etc...so I think a precast piece is not going to work for me. I need to use some kind of plaster or something to be able to individually shape each area. But I know that joint compound will end up cracking. Also, the transition is from wall to cathedral ceiling, so it's not a 90 degree corner it is more like a 135.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.