DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   How can I hang drywall level on my settled ceiling joists? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/how-can-i-hang-drywall-level-my-settled-ceiling-joists-132851/)

Lavid2002 02-06-2012 11:30 PM

How can I hang drywall level on my settled ceiling joists?
 
I am trying to put up a coffered ceiling in a basement room I am converting into an office, the ceiling deviates about an 1-1/2" ~ 2" from side to side, and it is only a 12' room. How can I lay my drywall so it is level?

A little snapshot of what I'm working with
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/DSCN2206.jpg

The only Idea I have, is to sister up the joists with a strait 2x4, or a 2x6, but make the new joist level, and screw my drywall into that. Is this a good idea? Shimming each drywall screw would be madness.

What say ye?


Thanks!

-Dave

joecaption 02-06-2012 11:41 PM

#1 the ceiling drywall was suppost to go up first.
The wiring is all going to have to all be redone. It was suppost to be pulled though holes drilled through the floor joist at least 2" up from the bottom so the sheetrock could be attached.

Your stuck now with having to shim everything or just add a crown moulding to cover up the gap.

Lavid2002 02-06-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 846541)
#1 the ceiling drywall was suppost to go up first.
The wiring is all going to have to all be redone. It was suppost to be pulled though holes drilled through the floor joist at least 2" up from the bottom so the sheetrock could be attached.

Your stuck now with having to shim everything or just add a crown moulding to cover up the gap.

I feel like you are jumping the gun here... This drywall was put up by a contractor years ago, a drop ceiling was also put in. I am going to re-do the wiring and some of the HVAC work as I want to put up drywall and a coffered type ceiling.

Back to the original question, how can I put in drywall so it is level, as I would like to install a coffered ceiling (That has crown molding)

joecaption 02-06-2012 11:57 PM

http://cofferedceiling.net/

You also could have done it with the droped ceiling rails you already had up there. They sell recessed panels that just drop in place of the old flat ones you may have had.

Lavid2002 02-07-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 846557)
http://cofferedceiling.net/

You also could have done it with the droped ceiling rails you already had up there. They sell recessed panels that just drop in place of the old flat ones you may have had.

Renovating for an office, and to learn carpentry. I want to do something that will require time and skill, that will look professional and genuine. Old drop ceiling got the job done in the fact that it was a ceiling, that's about it.

Willie T 02-07-2012 07:29 AM

If your ceiling is out that much, doesn't that also mean your floor above is out by the same amount? Now is the time to look at fixing both problems.... (if, indeed, two problems do exist).....before a new ceiling goes in.

And... did you determine your ceiling is actually out of level by USING a level?....... Or did you measure from the basement floor, upward?

joecaption 02-07-2012 07:59 AM

How old is that house? I'd guess over 50 years old?
The reason I'm asking is I can see they used diagnal 1 X 6's for the subfloors.
In most cases the floor joist in an older home like that are not all going to be the same width. One way to get around that is to screw up 2 X 4 scraps to the side of the floor joist in each corner of the room with a string attached scratched tight to check where the lowest joist is, (make sure to predrill the gauge block for clearance holes for the screws) Now you have a gauge to set sistered 2 X 4's to the joist on the two ends. (once agin it's good to predrill the 2 X's) Once the ends are screwed in place, move the string to the middle to check that there making contact all the way across the ceiling.

A concrete floor is almost never flat or level, old floor joist also are not level or even so this is one way to get around it.

Lavid2002 02-07-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie T (Post 846668)
If your ceiling is out that much, doesn't that also mean your floor above is out by the same amount? Now is the time to look at fixing both problems.... (if, indeed, two problems do exist).....before a new ceiling goes in.

And... did you determine your ceiling is actually out of level by USING a level?....... Or did you measure from the basement floor, upward?

I dont think the sagging joists are that big of a problem, do you? How would I fix this problem? There are renovated bathrooms, and bedrooms above the ceiling, I can't just do away with them to fix a 1.5" slope. What do you suggest?

I was looking at the wall after I pulled out the drop ceiling, and it looked sloped down to the left, I put a level on it, and it was level. My mind was blown. Then I put the level on the joists, they slope down to the right. The concrete floor isn't level, but I am going to fix that with some self leveling compound before I tile.

Quote:

How old is that house? I'd guess over 50 years old?
I don't know exactly, but it's pretty old. We have put several additions on it and really like it though :)

Quote:

A concrete floor is almost never flat or level, old floor joist also are not level or even so this is one way to get around it.
Smart! I'll try this with some 80 lb mono tonight.

conspikuous 02-07-2012 07:13 PM

They sell cardboard Drywall shims, essentially just strips of cardboard.

I would just staple up some strips on cardboard on the low points, check the level. Just make sure you use longer drywall screws where you add cardboard strips.

I just had to do this to my kitchen. Sure you could run all new backing but you would need to shim that up too to get it all level.

You could take a 2x4 per joist, make them level and screwed into the joists from the sides, go level from there but Im no code expert, more the get er done type.

JPL 02-07-2012 07:21 PM

Buy some 12' 2x4's, or 2x6's and sister them level to the existing framing. Watch the crowns in the 2x's and be sure they all bend the same way... More work, yes, but worth it. You could also install the new level sisters joists crown-down and use a power planer to make it truly level. Don't use cardboard, 1-1/2" is too much for that. Good luck!

joecaption 02-07-2012 07:22 PM

Please do not use cardboard shims. A sure way to have the tape crack.
I've done this job many times in rehabing 100 plus year old houses so I know the way I suggested works.

conspikuous 02-07-2012 07:24 PM

ahh I missed the 1.5, defo too much for cardboard shims, lol. Unless you just want to get a "Little closer" to level and not true.

coupe 02-07-2012 08:41 PM

in order to make your project level, first thing you must do is find level. you obviously can't measure off the floor or from your joists. you either need a laser? or a simple water level.( a clear hose open at both ends.) if you don't have one? they're very simple to make, for a 12 foot room, all you need is a coffee can, about 15 feet of clear hose, any size 1/4 ice maker hose is fine, drill a hole in can,insert hose and seal with caulking,set can on stepladder step, ad water keeping your finger over open end of hose, keep hose above the can on step at all times, until you carry hose to each corner, remove finger from end, the water will run level to all 4 corners. mark level points. use those points for all measuring for leveling ceiling. pulling strings tight should get you pretty level all around the room. 2x4's should be fine for what you're doing, a good pair of vice grip welders clamps will come in handy to hold the 2x4's where you need them to nail along your joists and allows you to raise or lower 2x4 to the point you need it to be.

it may be a bit time consuming? but you can work along at your speed alone. it will be worth it in the end to get a level ceiling to hang your drywall on. moving the strings every 3-4 feet will keep it straighter

ben's plumbing 02-07-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavid2002 (Post 846530)
I am trying to put up a coffered ceiling in a basement room I am converting into an office, the ceiling deviates about an 1-1/2" ~ 2" from side to side, and it is only a 12' room. How can I lay my drywall so it is level?

A little snapshot of what I'm working with
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/DSCN2206.jpg

The only Idea I have, is to sister up the joists with a strait 2x4, or a 2x6, but make the new joist level, and screw my drywall into that. Is this a good idea? Shimming each drywall screw would be madness.

What say ye?


Thanks!

-Dave

yep thats a very good and logicial solution to your problem at hand ..go for it let us know how to make out....

Lavid2002 02-07-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 847343)
yep thats a very good and logicial solution to your problem at hand ..go for it let us know how to make out....

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...if_serious.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved