Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #1

Share |

How can I fix my wall??

My kids thought it would be a good idea to crazy glue some items on the surface of a landing we have in our living room which resulted in a couple damaged areas:

1. Is this drywall??

2. I see the gypsum exposed. What would be the best way to fix this??

Thanks!!

Rocky9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

How can I fix my wall??

Here is what I would do... Do a quick sanding to take off anything that is loose. Then I would apply a couple of layers of plaster, sanding it after each layer dried. Then prime the plaster. Then I would put a coat of pain on the whole landing so the paint matches up. If you skip the priming or painting of the whole landing you will be able to see the repair later because the paint won't match up.
Oh and depending on how old the kids are, make them help. That's what I do with my 7yo when he causes something like this. My theory is that it will make him think twice next time and it gives him a little knowledge too.

NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
DIY staff

How can I fix my wall??

Good advice above---except I would choose powdered drywall mud --easy sand 20 minute--instead of plaster---although plaster should work well also---
Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How can I fix my wall??

If it is drywall, you might think about getting a quart of GARDZ (I think it comes in quarts) for your primer.

Having the kids help is a great idea. I had a young one in my life once that thought he could get out of mowing the lawn with his Mom's electric mower. The novelty wore off when I made him splice the cord back together and mow the lawn.

And not to lecture, but super glue can be dangerous for kids to get their hands on and could run up a nice ER bill.

Last edited by user1007; 09-01-2012 at 10:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

How can I fix my wall??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtransplant View Post
Here is what I would do... Do a quick sanding to take off anything that is loose. Then I would apply a couple of layers of plaster, sanding it after each layer dried. Then prime the plaster. Then I would put a coat of pain on the whole landing so the paint matches up. If you skip the priming or painting of the whole landing you will be able to see the repair later because the paint won't match up.
Oh and depending on how old the kids are, make them help. That's what I do with my 7yo when he causes something like this. My theory is that it will make him think twice next time and it gives him a little knowledge too.

a coat of pain always works
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote