Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |

How am I doing?

First time drywalling/taping/mudding. Have my second coat on everywhere but a few spots I still need to touch up.

Everything look ok so far?

Anything I need to fix?

Am I good with sanding and then putting on a skim coat or should I do one more coat?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How am I doing?-img_0313.jpg   How am I doing?-img_0314.jpg   How am I doing?-img_0316.jpg   How am I doing?-img_0317.jpg   How am I doing?-img_0319.jpg  

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

How am I doing?

looks good from a distance.
i never sand until im done.
just do one more coat.
you put alot of mud on the screws and the inside corners,they look really wide giving yourself alot of extra sanding but it should turn out fine.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

How am I doing?

After priming, you will find more to do, but it looks good now.

and you will prim, right? with a drywall primer???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #4

How am I doing?

Absolutely going to prime with a drywall primer. Think I'm going with Sherwin Williams for primer and paint
Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Mod

How am I doing?

Looks like need more nails to me.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #6

How am I doing?

The ideal way to hang, if you could have handled it, would have been to put up 12' drywalls horizontally, instead of 8' drywall vertically.

Overall the joints look good. There appear to be too few fasteners installed. I can't get an idea of the ceiling, but you only have 5 fasteners along an 8' piece of drywall. You should have 9 (every 12"), most importantly on the ceiling to avoid sagging.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

How am I doing?

The best way to tell if you need another coat is to hold a straight edge, such as your 12" knife, across the joint. If you see light under it you need another coat. If no light then its filled and another coat will make a hump. Sand any ridges off and maybe sand down the edges where the mud meet the drywall if the new mud has a ridge. Do not worry about and low places or scratches your finish coat will fill them. And I should add if you put your knife across the joint and it rocks side to side then you have over filled and need to sand some off.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 06-10-2013 at 07:10 AM.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

How am I doing?

If you require inspection, you have already gone too far for our area. Around here, the inspectors have to be able to see, and sometimes measure, each and every screw. It's for sure you only have about one half of the necessary screws....... especially in the lids. (ceilings)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #9

How am I doing?

Just curious of anything stands out. With the ceiling and saying not enough screws, does it make a difference/help that we glued as well? Used lots of glue!

I'll throw one more coat on, skim coat, and sand and will hopefully be ready for priming soon!

One quick question on skim coat. Do I only do inflated areas or do I go over what I already mudded as well?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

How am I doing?

Yeah, the glue will help. But, here at least, you would still have to meet the screw requirements.

Could I ask why you're skim coating it?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

How am I doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs View Post
Absolutely going to prime with a drywall primer. Think I'm going with Sherwin Williams for primer and paint
The best dry wall primer is made by USG and it is called sheetrock tuff hide primer and surfacer it really makes a smooth wall. http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-tuff-hi...l#tab-features
You have to spray it on. But man it comes out good.

Last edited by Nailbags; 06-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #12

How am I doing?

I've seen the tough hide mentioned before. Would I have to get a paint sprayer for that? Where would it be available? If I have no experience spraying should I even attempt it?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

How am I doing?

Quote:
Just curious of anything stands out. With the ceiling and saying not enough screws, does it make a difference/help that we glued as well? Used lots of glue!

I'll throw one more coat on, skim coat, and sand and will hopefully be ready for priming soon!

One quick question on skim coat. Do I only do inflated areas or do I go over what I already mudded as well?
Two ways to do a skim coat, 1 is to roll on the mud that is thinned to a pancake batter consistency or use the USG sheet rock tuff hide primer surfacer to be your skim coat. Both work well you need to have some one come behind you with 12 inch knife and skim off the mud you rolled. Or just spray on the tuff hide in a cross hatch patern and it comes out nice.

Last edited by Nailbags; 06-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Old School

How am I doing?

Yeah, if you have no experience with a spray rig, maybe sticking with a roller is best. A whole lot cheaper.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #15

How am I doing?

Quote:
I've seen the tough hide mentioned before. Would I have to get a paint sprayer for that? Where would it be available? If I have no experience spraying should I even attempt it?
your local rental shop would have one and you can practice on a scrap sheet of dry wall to get it right. Then just go for it. If you feel you can do it.