Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

horizontal or vertical.

Can only fit 8' sheets down my basement stairs. Even 10' wont go.
Normally I run them horizontally but in this case I wonder if I should go vertical?

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

horizontal or vertical.

It's done all the time, just more seams to deal with, just make sure there 1/2" up off the slab.
Make sure the first piece in the corner is plumb or your going to be fighting all the rest.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #3

horizontal or vertical.

In this case it isn't more seems to deal with, because I can only use 8' sheets.
If running horizontal on a 12' wall I would have 2 - 4' butt joints and 12' of tapered joint = 20' of taping.
If run Verticle I would have 2-8' tapered joints= 16' of taping and no butt joints.

Normally I would use 12' sheets and only have the one 12' horizontal joint at a nice taping height. But can't get them down stairs.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

horizontal or vertical.

you should always try to put your wall board vertically. tapered edges are always easier to mud then a butt and are less noticeable with light shining in.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #5

horizontal or vertical.

I always try to use longest sheets possible and run horizontal so only 1 tapered seam. way better then a bunch of vertical seems.
Previously worked for a drywaller.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

horizontal or vertical.

currently work doing drywall and painting for a living
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

horizontal or vertical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
currently work doing drywall and painting for a living
I wouldn't pay your company if I found out you stood the boards up.

You always railroad in a house.
Gensetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

horizontal or vertical.

Prince - why stand vertical if room is less then 12'? at 12' you would only have 1 - 12' seam, tapered edges.
Vertical would have a minimum of 16' and possibly 24' depending on stud layout, and harder/slower to tape from floor to ceiling on the 2 or 3 joints as compared to the 1-12'
Over 12' and I can see some logic to the no butt seams.

In my case I can only use 8' sheets as that is all I can fit down the stairs so I will stand vertically unless the wall is 8' or less, then I will go horizontal.
4' or under is 1 sheet stood vertical.

Last edited by mae-ling; 11-06-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

horizontal or vertical.

installing the sheets vertically is much easier if you are on your own and you dont need second hand to handle a 12' sheet. vertical seams are less noticeable when light is shining in from outside or down from a ceiling light and table lamps on coffee tables shine right on your work. it may take a little more work but the finished product always comes out better.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

horizontal or vertical.

Quote:
installing the sheets vertically is much easier if you are on your own and you dont need second hand to handle a 12' sheet. vertical seams are less noticeable when light is shining in from outside or down from a ceiling light and table lamps on coffee tables shine right on your work. it may take a little more work but the finished product always comes out better.
This is completely opposite from the truth.

First of all, what is easier for you really doesn't matter, doing the job right is what matters. Second, standing boards up makes the vertical seems VERY noticeable, which is why a professional would never do it. And finally, the finished product is worse when standing the boards up.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #11

horizontal or vertical.

your struggling,sweating and breaking your back so makes it right?? how is all finished seams worse???

bahhhh whatever, i might as well talk to the wall. keep on trucking on the "railroad"
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #12

horizontal or vertical.

Quote:
your struggling,sweating and breaking your back so makes it right?? how is all finished seams worse???

bahhhh whatever, i might as well talk to the wall. keep on trucking on the "railroad"
I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong.

Nevermind the fact that you are wrong about what you said, but your attitude is horrendous. You give tradesmen a bad name.

The customer wants the job done right, if your back can't handle it, go find another line of work. But do NOT do it the wrong way because it's a bit easier, that's disgusting.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #13

horizontal or vertical.

mr. big shots that think they know it all give me a bad attitude. its the blind leading the blind. i have a very good attitude with my customers and they love my work, i never have any issues. i use the best quality products and i work hard to make things right. my back can handle it with no issues but all it takes is to lift one sheet wrong and you'll end up in an emergency room. work smarter not harder. 8' sheets are simply much easier to handle for everyone. you can go skim out your nice butt joints everywhere you keep your customers happy with all that dust from sanding them.
we arent getting anywhere arguing so im done. i hope you can sleep at night knowing some dude out there stands his sheets up.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #14

horizontal or vertical.

Quote:
mr. big shots that think they know it all give me a bad attitude. its the blind leading the blind. i have a very good attitude with my customers and they love my work, i never have any issues. i use the best quality products and i work hard to make things right. my back can handle it with no issues but all it takes is to lift one sheet wrong and you'll end up in an emergency room. work smarter not harder. 8' sheets are simply much easier to handle for everyone. you can go skim out your nice butt joints everywhere you keep your customers happy with all that dust from sanding them.
we arent getting anywhere arguing so im done. i hope you can sleep at night knowing some dude out there stands his sheets up.
And this ^ is why you do not hire people off of Craigslist.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

horizontal or vertical.

imo. do whatever it takes to minimize/eliminate butt joints.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-06-2012), princelake (11-06-2012)