Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

Holes in Drywall

Hi All,

I just made nickel size holes in my drywall to fish speaker wire. However, i could not fish my wire. (found an alternative location). Now, i have two unnecessary nickel size holes that I unfortunately punctured the vapor barrier. through as well.

How do i fixed the holes? Do i leave the vapor barrier alone? Or just fill in the holes with putty? I have DryDex Spackling.

PTMD

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Holes in Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitabh View Post
Hi All,

I just made nickel size holes in my drywall to fish speaker wire. However, i could not fish my wire. (found an alternative location). Now, i have two unnecessary nickel size holes that I unfortunately punctured the vapor barrier. through as well.

How do i fixed the holes? Do i leave the vapor barrier alone? Or just fill in the holes with putty? I have DryDex Spackling.

PTMD
I would leave the vapor barrier alone. The spackling won't work with no backing it will crack and fall out. With a hole this small I would use a piece of drywall tape and just mud it. I guess first I should have asked is the wall smooth or textured?

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Holes in Drywall

smooth.

sorry - when you say "just mud it" you mean apply the tape and then drywall joint compound?

Last edited by Amitabh; 12-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
registered

Holes in Drywall

He means go and buy a small container of blue top ready mix mud/Spackle . Make sure you put a piece of drywall tap over the whole first.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-29-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Holes in Drywall

I'd just fill it with hot mud, a "setting compound" such as concrete fill or 20 minute mud, not with ready mix or drydex, as those are too soft to hold up. After the hole is filled and has dryed, go over it again, preferably with a softer finish material such as all purpose or drydex..

.anything bigger i'd use tape with it or one of those rigid patches you can buy at the store..
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Holes in Drywall

I would do what is called a California patch. Go to Home Depot and buy a 2'x'2 square of sheet rock. then take a utility knife and square up the holes I.E. make them square not big just of your hole is round just make it square. Now take that piece of sheetrock you bought and Cut a square out of it two inches wider then the hole you squared up. Now take it lay it face down and score it from the back side two inches back remove the sheetrock leaving the front paper on. place it in the whole mud and done.here is a nice video that shows how to do it better then I could explain it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kfw8M-a0pE

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote