Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Should I take an anger management class?
Poll Options
Should I take an anger management class?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Hole In The Drywall! (Need help)

So I have a pretty big hole in one of my walls. No need to go into details of how it can to be (suffice it to say I was having a terrible day playing Battlefield). The size of the hole is about the size of a size 10 shoe. Ok so now you know what happened.

Anyways, how do I patch it up? I've looked all over the Internet and haven't found anything helpful. If someone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. It'll save me hundreds of bucks since I'm renting an apartment and I'm planning on moving in 2 months.

I have attached a pic of the damage. If I need to get a pic at a different angle let me know and I'll make it happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Hole In The Drywall! (Need help)-image.jpg  

NeedARedo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

the proper way would be to square the hole and patch it. If it were me, I'd square it wide enough to reach the studs on either side of it. See box in picture. I'm assuming of course you have 16" on center wood studs. Youd then take a couple 14 1/2" pieces of 2x4 and slide them into the hold width wise between the studs. Keep the 2x4 on the flat and secure it to the studs with screws. Make sure you countersink the screws so the surface stays flat.

Then cut a piece of drywall to fit. Tape, mud, and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Hole In The Drywall! (Need help)-hole-repair.jpg  

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Just square the hole and use some 1x4 to use for backing. The best way is to cut your patch then trace around it, cut out the hole, use your 1x4 as backing, screw your patch to the 1x, tape and mud. The biggest mistake most people make on a patch is they try to keep it small. What you need yo do since this is a butt joint is feather it out at least 12" all the way around the patch.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

If you don't want to go all the way to the studs, you can cheat a little. Square up the hole. Then use thin wood, like paint sticks or better yet some scrap sheet rock. Glue these pieces all around the inside of the wall so that they extend at least a 1/2 inch beyond the squared opening. Clamp them in place & let them dry overnight. Then cut you patch to the size needed. Glue the backside of the patch to the strips you already glued to the inside of the hole. Tape the patch with masking tape to hold it in place to let the glue dry. then remove the masking tape. Apply joint compound, sheetrock paper tape & finish off as usual.

Expanding the opening to the studs as noted is the better way to do this. But if this is an apartment or you have no experience with this, you may not want to go to the studs. Be carefull cutting sheetrock. You never know what your going to find like electrical wires, pipes, etc. Also a lot of local painting contractors do sheetrock repair. Maybe you can find one that will do it for you if your not too sure. Good Luck.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, repair, repair drywall