Hiding Butt Joints - Need Help - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

hiding butt joints - need help

I applied the mud on my butt joints and they are nice and smooth. But as always, there is a hump, the joints are about 8" wide now. I tried to hide it by putting compound on either side of the joint but when I drew my 8" knife, one end of the knife was at the peak of the hump and the other end was on the drywall, I could see a gap, I ended up removing all the mud. First I though it was the angle of my knife, about 45 degrees, but I noticed when I drew my knife slowly, the middle part bent/flexed and scraped the mud, the mud that I wanted to stay to fill the gap. I tried changing the angle to 90 but that caused washboard look. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Thanks

Advertisement

kupalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

first thing is get a 12" good quality drywall knife, then just do one side of the seam and let dry then do the other side after it drys. you should finish up with a butt joint well over 24" wide so thar you are feathered out from the center line. with some gentle sanding and touch up your hump will feather out and be a thing of the past

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

now you see why a pro does not place butt joints on a stud. you use a tapered backer board which pulls the ends in and allows for a joint with no bulges.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Mariani For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,098

Bob hit the nail on the head: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...tt-joints.aspx

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

"Best" quality usually means some type of butt joint tool or product. Standard is just to feather it out the 24 inches like in the first response.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Products such as the "butt backer" isn't that commonly used. I've got "samples" sitting around I haven't used, but intend to some day. They cost several dollars apiece as I recall, so wouldn't be used by many pros in a whole house situation. Maybe a basement. They are a good concept....
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

a 12" quality knife is a good too to use because it helps you feather out the joint compound smoothly.

You'll have to do it in several coats. You can also use the 12" knife as a straight edge as you sand down the joint compound after it dries. Take a shop light and hold it up to the side of the wall to reveal the imperfections as you sand it down.

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

It is even better to use the light when you APPLY the mud so you can see the problems you are creating that you will have to sand later.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Use a curved trowel not a knife. Cover either side from the centre then use your 12" knife later to smooth out. Sounds like to much mud under the tape

Advertisement

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote