DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Help with repair (

mikereno1 07-21-2011 11:30 AM

Help with repair
I have a curtain rod secured above my sliding glass door to the drywall, but my 12 month old pulled down on the curtain and now one of the attachment points has pulled from the wall.

It was secured by drywall anchors, which are now halfway out of the wall.

What would be the best way to repair this? I need it to stay in the same position, and of course it isnt near a stud.

mustangmike3789 07-21-2011 12:38 PM

larger anchor or screw possibly?

jburchill 07-21-2011 01:32 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Could you take out the anchors, fill it with mud, let it dry. then put the anchor back in the same place?

larger anchor would mean larger screw would work. But that would mean the screw would have to fit in the hole of the curtain rod.

AGWhitehouse 07-21-2011 01:33 PM

I personally love toggle bolts...don't always work for the application, but when they do I don't hesitate.

Otherwise they make different size drywall anchors. Like mike suggested, maybe a larger diameter?

mikereno1 07-21-2011 01:57 PM

I was thinking of just doing the larger anchors as well. I will have to drill out the support bracket for the curtain for the larger screw to fit, but that shouldnt be that hard. A toggle bolt might be a good option as well.

oldrivers 07-21-2011 04:55 PM

your curtain rod is adjustable correct ? i would fill the holes with setting mud a few coats , then either shorten or lengthen the rod an inch , or if not raise or lower it an inch to get fresh drywall .

mikereno1 07-21-2011 05:03 PM

definitely adjustable, but it is set up right now completely even compared to the other side and the wife wouldnt be pleased if I made them 'uneven'

If I cant get it to set strong enough I will have to move both sides I suppose

danimama 07-26-2011 02:33 PM

NVM, i didn't read properly. tired to delete my post.

boman47k 08-01-2011 04:18 PM

Clean the hole up, attach a piece of wood behind the drywall extending past two sides of the old dw, fill with mud or new piece of drywall then mud , sand smooth, prime, paint, attach rod holder through the mud/dw and into wood with screws to fit.

Just another option. Might be a little stronger.

jarheadoo7 08-02-2011 07:14 AM

no matter what your going to have to use drywall mud to patch the holes so why not do a little demo/repair to make it better.. as Boman described would be the best way to fix it so it looks correct and will be stronger for the little one to tug on.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1