Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP! Has anyone heard of "furred" drywall texture?

My painter claims that he is unable to get a uniform finish on my walls in my basement because he says that the drywall texture was not sanded enough so it is "furred". He says that the only way to remedy the problem is to spray enough coats to cover it. The problem I have with his statement is that has used 7 gallons of primer on my 1300 square foot basement (this included priming the unprimed mdf finishwork, but not the doors which were already primed). The walls currently feel like sandpaper. I don't know if he just didn't use enough primer or enough paint or both. Does anyone know if this "furring" really happens? We have a very light hand-troweled finish on the walls (almost smooth wall) and I know that the drywallers sanded it lightly.... Please help!

Last edited by kakey; 07-26-2009 at 05:45 PM.
kakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
100 Year Family Tradition

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakey View Post
My painter claims that he is unable to get a uniform finish on my walls in my basement because he says that the drywall texture was not sanded enough so it is "furred". He says that the only way to remedy the problem is to spray enough coats to cover it. The problem I have with his statement is that has used 7 gallons of primer on my 1300 square foot basement (this included priming the unprimed mdf finishwork, but not the doors which were already primed). The walls currently feel like sandpaper. I don't know if he just didn't use enough primer or enough paint or both. Does anyone know if this "furring" really happens? We have a very light hand-troweled finish on the walls (almost smooth wall) and I know that the drywallers sanded it lightly.... Please help!

It is when the person who sands the drywall does so when it is still too wet.

In drywall they have 3 crews I know of from being in new construction

Hangers

Finishers

Sanders

Sanders are the low end of the spectrum and mostly are the new guys out there. They are given the drywall sandpaper, blocks and whatever they need and told to smoke the sheetrock to get ready for coating. When this happens it turns it from sheetrock to sh--Rock.

They make high build drywall primer that would help. Just plain old latex primer will not help your situation. The fuzzies will still show through.

4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So I guess "dusting" the walls with latex primer won't really cut it! My painter claims to have 15 years of experience. One might imagine in all those years of experience he might have figured out your "secret" mentioned in the prior thread! Ha ha. He is wanting to charge me $300 more to spray 2-3 more coats of paint (although he is unsure how many coats it will take to cover the fuzzies)....
kakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

You can also skim coat over the fuzzies and resand, or better yet, have the people who did it in the first place fix their mess.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
100 Year Family Tradition

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakey View Post
So I guess "dusting" the walls with latex primer won't really cut it! My painter claims to have 15 years of experience. One might imagine in all those years of experience he might have figured out your "secret" mentioned in the prior thread! Ha ha. He is wanting to charge me $300 more to spray 2-3 more coats of paint (although he is unsure how many coats it will take to cover the fuzzies)....

As a painter I have come across things that were not covered in the original contract. It happens time to time, but I never tried to get away with charging extra during the contract. Thats why I try and be very detailed like a encyclopedia when I map out the scope of work and I take longer on estimates to go through things with a fine tooth comb.

I do market me being a 4Th Generation custom paint contractor with 18 years of experience myself as well as the mention that I have been applying coats since I was 7 under my Grandpas supervision who in turn was a master painter, but numbers are just that. I saw many 20 and 30 year men who came around and could not cut it, so take the numbers in consideration, but ask for the last 3 most recent referrals. Who cares what they painted in 2007? What have they painted in July '09?
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, furred, furring, paint, primer