Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with drywall quote.

Hi. I need some help.
The house needs about a 100 sheets of drywall 1/2" on slanted ceilngs and some walls. (3200 sq feet) Metal corner beads. Not a single square corner on the ceilings. All weird angles. Needs to be hung, taped and topped ready for texture. Got a quote for roughly $3800. Not including materials.
Is that too high? California. Thanks

selrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Help with drywall quote.

Ya gotta love it.....

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
chrisn (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Help with drywall quote.

What does that mean Willie????
selrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,148

Help with drywall quote.

I would guess that means why ask here?
You need to be getting some more local quotes to know if the price is to high.
The people here could be from any place on the planet.

Why Texture, not many people here this do this for a full time job would suggest doing anything textured.
Hard to paint, near imposable to do a repair and have it match, a dust magnet, near imposable to clean.
By far there's more people asking how to remove it then apply it on any DIY site I've ever seen.
What's the spans on the ceiling? I would not use less then 5/8 on a ceiling so there's no chance of sagging.
You did not bother to add your location to your profile so it would be impossible for anyone to even guess if that price is ok.
Go to Quick Links to edit your location.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Help with drywall quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrox View Post
What does that mean Willie????
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.

This is a message pertaining to your question here at DIYChatroom.com.

Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, additions, decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local codes, local-rates, material preferences, inspection costs, permit fees, etc.

1.) Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s).
2.) Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references before hiring anyone.
3.) The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc. (For average basic-scope projects). On the other hand, rehabs and damage-repairs - tend to be an, all together different % ++ buffer allowance).

We encourage you to continue to post - Do It Yourself - related questions on this site.

Now, you may decide to push (insist), and continue on to ask the same question(s), however, please be aware that some members may treat your post(s) with disdain (and even irritability). Most experienced members will simply point (or link you) - to read this sticky. The thread itself may even be closed (as it is unrelated to DIY topics).
Even if you were to find someone willing to give you a guess-timated, 'ball park' figure, there is no way to gauge such blind figures as accurate. Actual costs can vary tremendously.

An example of this type of question and it's responses may be seen here: dry wall cost

Thank You

To our regular members: If there are any points the moderators forgot or you feel would help this thread, please PM any other moderator.

To Joe Carola = Here you go (What? No Thanks?)

This is a slightly edited version of the Original Main Link Here: "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.
See above......
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Help with drywall quote.

I think that pretty well covers it....
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,320

Help with drywall quote.

Sounds like a bargain to me.....

I had a quote to drywall a 2-story addition to my house....total floor square footage....1050 sq ft....vaulted ceilings upstairs...$9000

Second quote....$6500....in both cases they supplied the material.

Lets assume that your using 4x12 sheets of drywall...in my area it's about $12/sheet.

So....$1200 for drywall + delivery....maybe $100+.....and if you think that is too much....I bet your mind would change after about the 8th sheet.....not to mention that it would take you 5-6 trips to HD using your typical P/U.

I'm also guessing that you have never hung drywall....priced out screws....mud...tape....

I'm an engineer....I do software....but I've done enough drywall that your quote sounds cheap.....

Oh....and I would check your sheet count...unless your talking total square footage including walls and ceiling....

One last thing....in most areas the ceiling requires 5/8" drywall....it would sure suck to put up 1/2" and fail inspection.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Help with drywall quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

One last thing....in most areas the ceiling requires 5/8" drywall....it would sure suck to put up 1/2" and fail inspection.
Huh???
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Help with drywall quote.

Dang cheap in this area----
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,284

Help with drywall quote.

A roll of NO-COAT (whice in my opinion is the best for off angles) alone is about $70. Figure about 1000sf to a bucket of mud to just tape 1 coat. If these are 4x12 sheets that would be 4800 sqft so 5 buckets per coat x 3 coats so 15 buckets of mud just to tape not counting texture. Then figure wages for crew equipment needed mud tools, tapers, stilts, platforms, maybe scaffolding. But really the only way to be sure is get some prices from other drywallers in your area.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Help with drywall quote.

I think the OP got the message---local prices are needed----and the first one is not bad---