Help...complicated Drywall Repair - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
JH1

Rewards Points: 8

Help...complicated drywall repair

I hope there's an easy way to fix this problem. The part of the ceiling shown in the first photo is on an angle and the installers didn't bother to put backing blocks behind the drywall but only nailed the angled corner bead every 16" on the rafter supports and didn't tape it. Of course it cracked.

I didn't know that and when I went to repair it and put in additional screws, the screws didn't bite into anything. So I cut a hole to see what was wrong and found the problem.

Do you think I can V out the crack, mud and tape it (paper tape) and it'll be good? Or am I going to have to cut out a 6" strip down the whole 4' length so I can put backer blocks in?

---------

Further on down by the closet (same ceiling, 2nd photo), there's a crack at the top of the off angle tape. Do you think I can scrape down the texture in that area, mud in a new piece of tape over the crack and fix it that way?

Or am I going to have to dig out the tape over the whole 6' length of wall and ceiling and redo it with Strait-Flex?
Sorry for the angled photo, the walls are not angled, the ceiling is.
Attached Thumbnails
Help...complicated drywall repair-near_door.jpg   Help...complicated drywall repair-near_closet.jpg  

Advertisement

JH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,270

Maybe look into No-Coat 425 it's wider and stiff. But remove and add a nailer strip is probably the correct way to go. In the second pic it could be covered with hot mud (Setting compound) which is a lot stronger than joint compound, then a coat of regular compound. The problem will be the texture and trying to match it.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,631

That was probably rolled on but I had really good luck using one of these homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-BBQ-Scrubber-812-9237-S/203018163?keyword=bbq+scrubber to match it. The consistency of the texture is vital to getting a match. Practice on a scrap of DW first.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
JH1

Rewards Points: 8

The Strait-Flex I have is the 2 1/4" stuff, wider is probably better here so I'll look around and see what I can find. Strait-Flex dealers are closer to me than No-Coat dealers. I don't like the idea of cutting that out...but oh well...I don't want to have to do it again, ever. Yes on the hot mud...that's all I use except for the finish coat and sometimes even for that.

You saw my other thread about the texture (How do I match this ceiling?) I'm not looking forward to it, I've only tried it a couple times and wasn't very successful. I love DW finishing except for that part.
JH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,270

The only way to get better is practice and actually doing it. Come back with the problems your having maybe we can help.