Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with ceiling cracks

I started removing popcorn from our ceiling in the living room, dining room, kitchen and hallway last summer. Got sidetracked during a long fire season and finished in the fall. My problem is this: We added on to our house about 18 years ago which required a long gluelam beam to run down the middle of all the rooms. Under the popcorn I discovered the contracter had put tons of tape and mud to even out the drywall where the original ceiling and the addition met. (I guess he didn't use the correct depth of drywall) But I'm talking ALOT of tape! As I was taking down the popcorn, all the tape was coming down too. But I got it retaped, mudded, and new texture and painted. It looked great for a few months. Now, everywhere I replaced the tape has cracks! My question is this: Do I take off the tape and start over? Will I need to scrape the new texture off (it's not much, just light splatter effect) Is there an easier way to do this? Any help is appreciated. This project took so long (Husband, son, and self are all involved in fire service so project took a back seat to fire season) to complete that I'm about done in.

thanks for your help

Dana

danar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Help with ceiling cracks

Question is, why do you think it cracked? Will taping it over solve the problem? A pic sure would help.