Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

Help with a bumpy patch job

I've been trying to patch some holes in my walls for a while now, and am having a load of trouble trying to get a decent finish on it. Basically, these holes are 12"x18" each from where intercoms were originally installed in all of the rooms of my house. The previous owner pulled out all of the intercoms and left the holes in the wall covered up by pictures, etc.

I cut and secured new drywall in the holes, but the taping and mudding is just making a mess. Initially, I had used regular paper tape, but was having problems with squeezing out too much mud and the tape lifting.

So, I scraped off all of the finish and tape and started over with ultra thin mesh tape. Now, however, it seems like that in order to get a decent/smooth finish, I'm sanding all the way to the point where the tape is partially exposed.

Any tips on how to dig myself out of this hole? I've been taping and scraping on and off for over a year, and need to get the rooms painted eventually.

Thanks,

Mike

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

big box stores,lowes here,carry a metal mesh adhesive backed square patch tha come in diff sizes. Have used them with a first light skimcoat of durabond 90. Pull this coat tight like a skimcoat. then work your way out with redymix drywall compound sanding between coats. I use a 12" knife thru this. get out past edge of patch at least 8" feathering each coat. good primer, point up and sand ,good primer ,paint. if needed patch can be cut to fit

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Try not over sanding. Sand only the high ridges for the first two coats. Even these may be removed with a taping knife. Tape with wider knives each successive coat. Feather sand the last coat.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

I suspect 12x18 he will need to start with wide knife for even coverage
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Tiger,
If you have been messing with these for over a year, you might want to call a taper in the area that will do small jobs. He'll have it done in no time at all and shouldn't cost very much.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote