Help With Blending Finish On A Ceiling Repair - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with blending finish on a ceiling repair

Hello. I'm helping a friend fix this ceiling. A local handyman said he could match the finish pretty well. He did very good on installing the drywall but the finish isn't very close. He used a flat metal finishing tool, about 4"x 8", and used a twisting motion of his wrist in a random pattern. It looks to me like the old finish was applied with a brush. Any advice on making this blend in better? Thank you.

started with this

Now have this

Advertisement

doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

The texture (called stipple) is in fact done with a brush. Go to All-Wall.com, click on "texturing tools" on the left. Click "texture brushes". The "Texmaster 11' shag stipple brush" is what you're looking for. You'll have to scrape/sand the patch back down, go 6" or so past the joint. Roll thinned mud (consistency of pancake batter) with a 3/4" nap roller and "blop" with the brush. The brush needs to be "wet" with mud first. Take a finishing knife and apply a layer of mud to the brush. "Blop" it on the ceiling to get the excess mud off of the brush, roll over where you hit the brush on the ceiling, roll the whole area and texture....

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I have had pretty good luck blending a similiar looking texture with crumbled up newspaper or plastic bag.

Yeah, I am cheap and have no experience with a stomp brush, crows foot, or whatever they are called.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote