Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help

Which tape is better for plastering, paper or mesh?

the newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,468

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by the newbie View Post
Which tape is better for plastering, paper or mesh?
Hi,Newbie. Welcome to the forum!

I moved your post to the drywall section- hopefully a pro will chime in.
But you might want add some details about your project- I know they'll ask

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

help

Ok, thanks. I'm obviously new to this!
the newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

help

80% will say paper 20% mesh.
i'm a paper guy. with the proper taping mud(green lid mud) the paper sticks and bonds with the drywall and will never crack.
mesh sticks to the drywall with a light adhesive and doesn't bond well and with any movement will crack. using hot mud(easy sand 20,45,90,etc) for atleast the first coat will make the joint stronger but is still not as strong as a paper joint
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-18-2013), the newbie (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 730

help

I can vouch for that. I thought the mesh was a great improvement over paper for going up quick but I have enough hair line cracks everywhere to warrant tossing the mesh in the trash.
the newbie (06-18-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

help

Paper tape all the way. Except when doing seams on tile backer then you use a mesh tape they make for that. On a more pragmatic reasons why 1. For the cost of one roll of mesh tape I can buy a thousand feet of paper tape. 2 I can get a stronger bond then mesh with paper tape. 3. If there is dust on the dry wall the mesh won't stick. 4 if you over sand, I know no one over sands. But if you do you get to see little hash marks in your work. 5. Mesh makes it so there is always a little hump it seams.Those are my reasons for never using mesh tape. On drywall aka plaster board.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

help

plaster is usually applied over metal lath neither paper tape or mesh get used
Today we do use a two coat plaster over blue board drywall.We use a heavy mesh on every seam including the angles.

now if you are looking to fix/repair plaster...that's a totally different process..as is finishing drywall w/papertape
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 334

help

We use mesh for plaster and paper for drywall.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 626

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallfinisher View Post
plaster is usually applied over metal lath neither paper tape or mesh get used
Today we do use a two coat plaster over blue board drywall.We use a heavy mesh on every seam including the angles.

now if you are looking to fix/repair plaster...that's a totally different process..as is finishing drywall w/papertape
Some places in the world drywall is called, wall board, sheet rock, plaster board DWB, and a few other names. So when th OP said plasterboard it can mean diffrent things.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

help

But the OP said plaster and nothing about board of any kind so we do not yet know.

In general I find using plaster materials to repair plaster works out better than drywall compound because the material is the same density and seems to expand and contract like the original plaster. Drywall in large patches within plaster tends to separate in short order. However, I have used dry mix mud on plaster cracks that are not severe but have never had luck with mixed mud. For major repairs to plaster you need at least patching plaster if not something approaching the original mix. And of course, if the plaster has pulled from its wire mesh or lathe, your repairs will be short lived. You need to pull the plaster back in place before anything else. They make a nice plaster washer system for this.

To cast my tape vote though? Mesh tape is great for its designed purpose, fixing cracks in either plaster or textured drywall surfaces. I think paper tape still the best for new drywall mudded joints. I know some wall finishers that use the mesh tape for everything. I find it too easy to snag with a drywall knife and it tends to crawl on me.

There are also membrane and resin systems to resurface badly cracked walls where it would be impractical to string out and fill in yards and yards of mesh tape but where it also makes no sense to demolish the walls. NuWall comes to mind and works out great. The video lies though. It is not such a casual process to work with it as YouTube suggests. Definitely line up a second person the first time you attempt a NuWall restoration.

Newbie? You might want to let us know where in the World you are by quickly updating your profile. We might spot differences in product naming and so forth faster.

Let us know more about what you are facing so we can be more helpful? For example, are you using some sort of drywall or other wallboard material or are you trying to restore existing plaster walls?

Last edited by user1007; 06-21-2013 at 08:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote