Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Share |

Having Trouble Getting My Corners Smooth

Hi, this is my first time drywalling. I have a problem with my inside corners. The taping is still distinguishable after two coats of compound. What should i do?

Charlie.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #2

Using a corner knife?? compound first, then tape, then light layer of compound, let dry, then second layer. Sand lightly, may need touchup layer.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I don't like to use one, but if you use a 'corner knife', you can leave behind a build-up of drywall compound in the corner like this. It's really not too noticeable, and it hides the tape.

You'll learn the correct tilt and pressure to leave just the amount of mud that you need to cover things like those tape lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Having Trouble Getting My Corners Smooth-d-w-corner.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 05-11-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

From the looks of it, though, you've done a good job - perhaps you're applying *too much* pressure and wiping away more drywall mud than you're leaving behind when you apply the next coat?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #5

if you are using a flat knife, apply pressure to the board side of the knife, and let the corner side float down and smooth it out, building up a layer of mud similar to willie's image. a wider knife is better for this. your corner does look pretty good for a first time though.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

i think the compound may need to be thicker. I don't know if you could tell from the picture, but the tape sticks out from the wall still. I am using a flat knife but i think snav has a point.
i should probably use less pressure and use a thicker compound.
Charlie.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.Liu View Post
i think the compound may need to be thicker. I don't know if you could tell from the picture, but the tape sticks out from the wall still. I am using a flat knife but i think snav has a point.
i should probably use less pressure and use a thicker compound.
its a delicate balancing act between consistency and pressure. are you mixing your compound before applying it? that can help a lot as well. you can do it in small batches with a small knife, or hook up a beater to a drill and go nuts with it.

i think snav is implying that you are removing too much mud, not that you need a thicker mixture - but then i could be totally wrong.

if you have some extra gwb laying around, frame up a corner to two for practice! lowes sells 1/4 and 1/2 sheets if you don't have extras or dont want to cut up a full size sheet.

Last edited by cellophane; 05-12-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
ews
Portlander

Found a pretty good article that may help you out. It talks about the issue you just had

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...terior/4224995
ews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

A Few Questions About Finishing Drywall

there are a number of links there to other articles on DIYChatroom as well as external sites. a few videos as well - some of which I found very useful while trying to figure out how to tape & mud. I found this site to be the most helpful but you're mileage may vary.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Drywall contractor

Remember also the tape is a "paintable" surface. You're really just trying to "kill" the raised edge where tape meets the rock. Some tape showing through is not a problem. It appears though you're not angling your knife enough to cover the tape and/or wiping too much back off. Are you pulling one side at a time??
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #11

Yep, I would have said paint it after making sure there are no ridges in the mud or between the mud and the paper.

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall tape house wall