Hanging Wire From Garage Door Opener On Drywall Using TAPE - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging wire from garage door opener on drywall using TAPE

I search and searched and I cant believe i am the first one to ask this question. Maybe I am thinking into this too much but...

I just bought a new home and was lucky enough to have the garage be finished, drywall, sealed, taped and painted. It is super clean. Is there a special kind of tape i can purchase that will stick to this painted drywall and be strong enough for the winter months (my garage is around 40-50 degrees in the winter)

I just installed the garage door opener and now have to hang the wires to the safety sensors and the wall mounted button opener.

It came with U-nails but I would really like to keep a clean look and not have nails showing on my ceiling and walls.

Is there a durable, yet clear tape i can use to accomplish this mounting of the wire? It is thin, yet the boxing tape i am using right now is not working too well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Advertisement

jetsurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 634

I'm not sure how tape of gong to look any better then just the staples.
If it your that concerned with looks then look into wire molding.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Maybe run it on the wall ceiling corner. Mine is visible on my ceiling but I ran it behind drywall on the wall.

Or you could get rid of the wired opener and mount a wireless one in place of it. Then you should only have wires from door to overhead opener which could be ran along the door guide in the middle

Last edited by akjose; 02-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
akjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,674

What's that stuff called? I think raceway that the wires go in you get corners and all to really make it look finished.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

jetsurly, it is a garage. They are supposed to look used & beat up after a while. It is not a piece of art that is hanging in the louve. Just attach the wires with the use cable clips, or the pin nails with the plastic wire holders, and attach where the studs are, and be done.

Give your garage six months, and it will look well lived in, along with a few nicks and gouges in the gypsum, along with scuff marks. Garages are meant to be utilitarian, not made to be Obsessive, compulsive issues.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

What's above the garage ceiling? If it's attic space, run the wires from the eyes up the 2 x 4 that the vertical tracks are attached to. Then drill a small hole in the ceiling about 1 1/2" out from the corner joint. Route the wire through the hole and run it in the attic and bring it back through the ceiling right above the door opener. Do the same thing with the wall control station. Run the wire straight up alongside the man door trim and poke it through the ceiling. Forget about the tape and wire mold. The little bit of wire that ends up showing is quite minimal.
If you have living space above, run each eye wire up the 2 x 4, then over along the garage door header towards the center. Run the wire across the ceiling using the staples every 24" right above the opener rail. They won't be that noticeable then.
I would be more upset with the builder. Any builder nowadays prewires a garage for eyes and openers as a standard feature. At least around here anyway.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

Thank you all for the advise so far. here is a picture of what I am trying to do.

If you look closely you can see the wire. I plan on running the wire for the sensors on the main tracks (on the side). On the ceiling, I plan on using a heavy duty (which type and brand yet to be determined) to run the wire to the control box by my garage door. If I have enough slack, ill go for a corner conceal. If not, then ill go straight back on the ceiling make the line straight and flush with the ceiling and then going straight down the wall.

So, because I am in Minnesota and it gets cold, any suggestions on the best kind of tape to use that will stay stuck to the paint/drywall?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Is your door opener wearing a bra?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Again do not use tape. As for the wire, the standard white #20 zipcord will do just fine. If you want something heavier, go online to monoprice.com and order a 1000' spool of #18 inside wall spec'd speaker wire. The outside jacket would be white, and the two inside wires would be color coded black and red sheathing over them.

Still you should just use "Bell" or "Coax" staples, since tape falls off after a while. For a job like this, it would only take maybe a half-hour tops running the wire, and two maybe three to hook up and aim the eyes, then be done and move on to the next project.

You are putting way more thought into this, than how it would actually be done.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
Is your door opener wearing a bra?
No, they actually have the light covers flipped down.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Again do not use tape. As for the wire, the standard white #20 zipcord will do just fine. If you want something heavier, go online to monoprice.com and order a 1000' spool of #18 inside wall spec'd speaker wire. The outside jacket would be white, and the two inside wires would be color coded black and red sheathing over them.

Still you should just use "Bell" or "Coax" staples, since tape falls off after a while. For a job like this, it would only take maybe a half-hour tops running the wire, and two maybe three to hook up and aim the eyes, then be done and move on to the next project.

You are putting way more thought into this, than how it would actually be done.

Thank you for your input. I guess I am spending too much time thinking about this.

I guess my main question is: Is there any kind of heavy duty clear tape that will stick better to the ceiling than just regular boxing tape?

I am fine stapling the wire, just would rather have a clean, fluid look rather than have some staples hanging out of the ceiling and walls
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Forgot to mention, this is my first house
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

No I do not know of a better clear tape I mean there are better tapes but the ones i'm thinking about aren't clear. What about white duct tape.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Again, there is no tape product that will wotk. You could try clear silicone caulk though.

Advertisement