Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hanging Drywall in an attic

I know this is a DIY site but I am trying to weigh the cost of hanging drywall in my attic vs. hiring a contractor. I recently finished off the HVAC, electrical, and insulation in my walk up attic so now it's time for drywall. I calculated that I needed 44 sheets of 5/8" drywall. In order to complete the job I would need to rent both a stand for holding the drywall and scaffolding for working over the stairs which have a sloped ceiling. I have done smaller jobs before but on square rooms whereas the attic room will have all sloped ceilings except for the 8' section on the top which will make for tricky taping as well as difficulty hanging due to the angle of the slope. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago. Can anyone give an approximation of what a contractor should/would charge for such a job. I was planning on contracting the mud and tape and hanging the drywall on my own but now when I start looking at the rental charges etc I'm not certain I will save anything doing this work myself. I thought I would ask here first vs having contractors come to my home for an estimate so I will know if the quotes are in line with what one would expect to pay. Also if I do decide to go for it on my own, am I correct to assume this will be more difficult than a typical square room?

Thanks in advance.

Graye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 0

Hanging Drywall in an attic

There are just to many variables when it comes to pricing a job. Your best bet is contact 3 or 4 local guys and give them a detailed list of Specifications to bid the job from.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote