Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Share |

Hanging drywall on 8.5 foot walls

I have 103 inch walls in my basement (8.5 footers), and I already bought 40 sheets of 1/2 8x4 foot sheetrock, I've been hanging them horizontally, one at bottom, one at top, all the way to the joists (I'll be hanging a drop ceiling later) and in the middle I have 7 inches. I've been scoring long strips of 7 inches from sheets, and they stand out more, because they come into contact with concave edging on top and bottom sheets.

I did 1/3 of my basement this way already and only today I found out about special order 54 inch drywall I could have used. Too late, as I'm not about to unscrew 1/3 of my basement and start over. It's just going to make it so much harder taping the joints in the middle so they don't stand out as much? Should I do the rest of the basement with the 7 inch piece at the top instead of putting in the middle as I've been doing?

Thanx.

motopokep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

I think I found the answer to my question:

I'll order 54 inch drywall and combine it with the 48 inch sheets I already have for a total of 102 inch walls (I'll be dropping a ceiling which will cover the inch).

Still, the 7 inch seam I already hung in the middle, should be fine taping over, right?

motopokep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Made yourself a whole lot more work then needed.
Wider sheetrock would have been the ideal way to go, now your stuck with trying to cover seams without tapered edges. Not a fun job.
If I had the same materials you had to work with I would have installed the top piece first, the next one tight to it and had the narrow stip at the bottom
with the tapers facing each other. Not idea but way easer then trying to hide cut edges.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

i would have bought 10' sheets and hung them vertically
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

I would have started at the top and put a 6" or 8" baseboard at the bottom to cover the lower seam.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

You will have a situation similar to taping butt joints. Flair them out 14" each side. Not much else you can do at this point
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Hanging all 8' sheets horizontally makes for a lot of butt joints besides the 7" rip in the middle you have. You could have actually gotten 9' sheets from a drywall supply and only had 6" of waste by standing them up (as opposed to 18" with 10' board). If you're proficient enough to finish butt joints to a proper level, the 7" rip won't be a problem. You'll just need another bucket or two of mud....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

What you did is what we did before 54" sheets came out. No problem, just mud it all up nice and float it out.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

For the rest of the basement, couldn't you just hang the 8' pieces from the floor vertically? You would have a 6" gap at the top but just have your drop ceiling at least 6" down from the floor joists. An 8' drop ceiling height is still pretty good. This way you'll have 1 vertical tapered joint every 4 feet...easy-peasy.

BTW: the drywall that you already put up...did you stagger the joints? I'm sure you most likely did, but if not, I'd be inclined to pull it all down and re-do it. Chalk it up to experience.

Last edited by pete0403; 05-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote